Server maintenance Read more... ×
gromet88

FG into BA?

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this can be done but thought I'd ask before I go organising too much ahead of myself.

So I picked a dirt dirt cheap BA XR6 Turbo today that lets say, over boosted and failed, catastrophicly.

So my idea as a quick turn around (hate the colour and it's a BA), is to slot a FG motor in.

But;

What will I need to change to do this? ie; mounts, wiring etc

Will it bolt straight upto the auto box (was replaced 1500ks before motor let go)

Will I have to buy a turbo motor minimum or did they not really change much between the motors turbo and non-turbo?

I don't really want to replace it with another BA motor as a selling point of the FG motor.

Bf turbo would be straight swap and better internals...

Fg use different oil pan so you'll be doing a few mods just to get it in plus wiring for the entire motor is different even though pin outs are almost same.

Edit* gearbox will bolt on no problem, you'd just use ba engine mounts, additional bolt on's like a/c and power steering might have slightly changed so pipes might need changing to suit

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I thought of the same thing with my ba xt, but keeping it n/a. I could do it as I have one already modified to fit e series so it'd swap straight in, wiring would be the biggest job and it being my daily I don't wanna do the R&D

Put the ba sump pickup and dipstick in it. Use same wiring loom just change the plugs for the coils. Anything else that doesn't have the right plugs wiring wise you should be able to take out of the ba block and out in the fg one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't Comp ratio be different from a turbo motor & a NA motor??

I've heard that an Egas bottom end is the way to go because they had a stronger bottom end to ease the detonation issues that the Egas motor suffered from.

If short block with all the old accessories it should be ok, still might have to mod a couple things as the fg routes the loom differently through the head for coils and injectors but would be simple mod.

Be careful of which fg block you get as the later ones don't have the second dipstick hole at the front

Wouldn't Comp ratio be different from a turbo motor & a NA motor??

I've heard that an Egas bottom end is the way to go because they had a stronger bottom end to ease the detonation issues that the Egas motor suffered from.

Pretty sure they mean turbo fg block to suit the application ;)

ok re-read first post... yeah they are different and would be better to get a turbo block to start with, egas you still need to change pistons as they are high comp motors

Nah they changed and had no hole whatsoever, you can drill the block as long as you get it in the right spot lol early ones just had a rivet of sorts to block it off

Yup knew they had a bung. Have drilled one with no dramas too though

I'd rather find one with the hole, i don't like my chances of not fucking it up haha cause i'm guaranteed too

I only mentioned this issue cause Gromit asked if NA & turbo motors were the same.

I've only owned one, so don't know heaps about them, but logic would say that comp would have to be lower on a turbo engine.

This might be achieved by simply fitting a thicker head gasket. I'm not really sure.

All the 6cyl lads will know.

Yup knew they had a bung. Have drilled one with no dramas too though

I'd rather find one with the hole, i don't like my chances of not fucking it up haha cause i'm guaranteed too

Haha true. Was there a year it changed?

I only mentioned this issue cause Gromit asked if NA & turbo motors were the same.

I've only owned one, so don't know heaps about them, but logic would say that comp would have to be lower on a turbo engine.

This might be achieved by simply fitting a thicker head gasket. I'm not really sure.

Different rod and piston combo as far as I know. Then there's also a few different ones ba/bf/fg

yeah i edited my post as i was on phone and didn't catch that part sorry, you are right though.

Haha true. Was there a year it changed?

I don't know the exact year but i'd say it'd be around when they released the mk2 if i had to guess

yeah i edited my post as i was on phone and didn't catch that part sorry, you are right though.[/quote

Sorry mate, I was writing that as you must have been editing your post.

All good but.✌

BF Egas short block would be the cheapest answer.

They have the turbo rods in them, to my knowledge - to protect against bending if the gas backfires.

Find a Barra from a taxi, and you're set.

:P

To Make a FG Turbo engine to work in a BA with  minimal fuss, the best way in my option is to do the following.

1. Find an early FG engine that has the hole already there for the different dipstick requirement. Saves fucking around drilling shit.

2. Remove the FG sump and oil pump pick up off the FG engine and swap with all the stufff you have off the BA engine.

3. Remove the FG rocker cover off the FG engine and swap over all the BA rocker cover and coilpacks, along with the looms.

4.  Remove the FG intakes and replace with all BA stuff.

Doing it this way everything should would as per BA spec, but with a newer and stronger engine.

To Make a FG Turbo engine to work in a BA with  minimal fuss, the best way in my option is to do the following.

1. Find an early FG engine that has the hole already there for the different dipstick requirement. Saves fucking around drilling shit.

2. Remove the FG sump and oil pump pick up off the FG engine and swap with all the stufff you have off the BA engine.

3. Remove the FG rocker cover off the FG engine and swap over all the BA rocker cover and coilpacks, along with the looms.

4.  Remove the FG intakes and replace with all BA stuff.

Doing it this way everything should would as per BA spec, but with a newer and stronger engine.

Stuff that imo! It's way worth the hassle for the fg rocker cover and getting the intake working. The ba manifold is a piece of crap compared to the fg one and if you've got one, it's definitely worth spending the extra hour or so making it work.

Well that was an eye opener!

I was thinking, maybe change the sump pan, mod the wiring abit and bang-o. Apparently not!, oh how things have changed from the EA-AU era! I think I might go with the first suggestion and slap a BF motor in, no mods then! Its only a flip car so I'm not going to mod it to what i would want, because i'd be better of putting the dollar bills into the toilet and hitting the flush button.

Good info though if I ever buy another BA/F to keep (if only the interior was as easy to change as the motor/box) but would rather wait for 1st gen FGs to come abit further down in price.