Server maintenance Read more... ×
unfamilia

drum brake hassle

I got new drums for my car.

For some reason mine foul hard up against the drum backing played, meaning I cant adjust the drums properly for a good pedal.

Brake shop confirms this was my issue not master cyl.

Anyway new drums appear to be 1-2mm taller than old spec ones.

Any one had similar issue before? And which would be best option.

Spacer plate 2mm thick between axle flange and back of drum.

Machined, of course, so drum spins true. If you have the countersunk Phillips head screw that retains the drum onto the hub, it may not be long enough. Having said that, hundreds of cars run without them. Wheel nuts will hold it on. :o.

Just remember they are there, if you ever change drums again..... :lol:

You just need to ensure that the brake shoes are in full contact with the drum. Not hanging out, or in your case, too close.

Stu's suggestion might work too. Give a brake mob a quick call. They might still have an old catalogue with the dimensions of the old stuff in it.

Just fit the drum on the axle backwards, start the car put it in h and hold a grinder to the drum till you have clearance. :D

Dodge as fuck. I like my hands.

Found a mate with a lathe but its only 9inch. His cousin has a mill at work. Trying to see what I can sort out

Ok rebuilt rear brakes tonight.

I bought this diff 2nd hand from a mate who's mate had it sitting in his scrap bin. Bottle if bourbon.

Anyway as it had no shoes drums springs etc just the rest I built it with mostly new Parts.

I never noticed the backing plates are warped!

Ffs. So I'm a dick. I stripped then and tapped them straighter. Will need some ozitio love still for clearance to drums but should all work out.

The drums are still deeper than originals but not as bad as I had originally thought.

Well no I didn't have a win, wasn't the only warped things on the diff. Both axles are bent.

Luckily when searching for axles I've found a whole rear end for $50 less then the axles. Just had to Remod it to fit.

Its all stripped down now. Axles true and the housing. Need to strip center out of the one in car install in new housing then swap over shoes and slaves etc and reinstall.

By next Sunday

And just did my back changig kids nappy. Wtf.

So there's a big hill and a big pile of nappy filler to push up it.