Ivanflo

XYZ. XR-XF Falcon Front Coilovers

XYZ are now doing front Coilovers for the X series falcons.

Interested to hear what people think of them? 

"Here are our XR-XF Ford Falcon Coilovers.

We are proud to announce the release of the early Falcon and Mustang front coilover system. Featuring full adjust-ability in both height and dampening.
In stock now at $995."

XYZ Racing Australia

10930029_1595396047359602_70019270542541

11001726_1595396634026210_30817074661533

12227811_983245241732820_795055801783028

Nath got his set today but won't put them on cause blah blah blah. I am interested to see how they go as they are more expensive than a set of bilsteins and custom king springs, which when used with a shelby drop I would be thinking would provide better handling than the coilovers. This is only my opinion and am happy to be proved wrong but to me the specs on the coilover are more suited to looks than handling.

Yep a set of bilstiens with a coil over conversion on the standard saddle with a new top mount which you can make for next to nothing will out perform those things, day in day out.  King springs are about $100 each.  Bilsteins can be bought cheap if you look around and the coil over piece can be had from speedway suppliers.  All up you would be about $200 better off and have super handling. 

Mind you for those that cant DIY these would be a fair option.

Fine, just for you bastards I will fit them tomorrow morning :lol:

Calling it now, the first time I fit them will be a half hour job.

When I realise they need adjusting so I have to take them out and re-adjust them 6 times before they're right, that's what's gonna take the time.

I actually think they might be more cost effective in the long run - they're fully adjustable so once you want to change the setup once they've just paid for themselves. Not 100% sure whether my XD will stay a 6 or get a V8 so I'm covered for both suspension wise now.

I was up for new shocks and spring saddle bushes anyway - I reckon for someone who has to do shocks/springs/saddles it will only work out slightly more expensive.

Can't comment on whether you'll be right about the handling yet Ryan/Ando. Promise I'll do some thorough testing :D

One thing I'm curious about - what about the coilovers with the shelby drop mod as well?

Yeah Nath I wondered about the shelby mod with the coilovers, but I would be checking with the maker of the coilovers to see if they still back their product with the shelby drop.

I think Ando has it right when he said that these would be great for someone that cant do fab work themselves for what ever reason. I am guilty of jumping of the fabrication band wagon where as a few years ago I didnt have the skills or time to be doing any sort of fab work.

I still see the generic king springs (sl,ssl,sssl) as only a cosmetic upgrade not to actually increase the performance and handling. So comparing these coilovers to a handling bias setup is probably not fair. I think the ride height adjustment is perfectly suit to getting the look of a car just right and as Nath said will probably workout cheaper to get the coilovers.

When you go to true coil over with the shelby drop you end up with a very sweet handling falcon. I know - thats how my race car was set up and just about every other xf falcon race car out there.

The Kings springs you buy from proper coil over application are actually rated in pounds.  That way you know what they are going to do (stiffness wise) to the car.  It is not a lottery like you get with just low, super low etc. 

I would be interested to know if xyz offer different rate springs for their shocks and if the shocks are rebuildable and variable (can change damening by internal shims).  That is one very big plus for the bilstien - fully rebuildable and you can change the rate if you so desire.  This means you never have to buy another shock - unless you have a big stack.

I see that XYZ use the King spring so perhaps different spring rates could be had economically from KIngs.  The springs on them also look like a linear rate spring as they taper from the coil over attachment end, up to big - no doubt to mate with the stock spring holder.  Be interested to know the rates of the spring as supplied and also shock dampening rate. 

Just a little off-topic: I have a set of Konis in the front of mine that are at least 30 years old. They work ok but might need a rebuild soon. Anyone got kits for them before?

I remember either Nath says or reading that the xyz coilovers have a 600lb spring. I wondered about upping the spring rate on them, but also wondered if the setup would support 800+ pound springs.

Sorry greg cant help with rebuilding info but can supply a shop in brisbane that rebuild koni and bilsteins so they should be able to help http://www.gsad.com.au/

Havent used them yet but I do plan on paying them a visit when I have the cash to do my front end setup. I have spoken to them in the past and were helpful and the bloke even owned an x series.

Anyone got any tips as to how to have these setup before I throw them on? I'd rather avoid having to re-fit them 3 times to get the adjustment right.

Preload should be easy enough, I'm more worried about the height - the height of the current springs is perfect so I'd like to keep it the same...Other than keeping them dead even I'm not sure exactly how to go about getting it right the first time.

Was thinking just measure the distance between the centre of the wheel and the wheel arch and try to match how it is now vs when the coilovers go in. Means I should only need to re-do it once.

Wonder if I'll need a wheel alignment - since technically I won't be changing the height/dimensions at all will I?

About to hook into it now.

Im keen to see how these go. I was really keen on a set but would like to see others opinions first.

As for that DIY setup, id definitely like more details. Long term goals for my wagon is coil overs up front, and rack and pinion steering converison, so im very keen to see how these go.

Why rack and pinion in the wagon? Because its my car and because i can, even if it is $2.5k for the steering conversion lol

Nath, yeah measure everything you can but keep mind the springs will settle a bit after a while so may install a little high and wait for it to settle. I would ring the guys who made them and ask for a general setup, I would have thought there would be something in the box regarding settings and heights.

Edit: just thought, are these coilovers ADR approved?

Not sure about adr. Nothing in the box either.

Just measuring stuff up now. Stock setup, passenger side is 2cm higher than driver's. What's up with that? Do I want to emulate this with the coils?

Edit: just thought, are these coilovers ADR approved?

probably not. are any aftermarket coil-over type suspension for any car ADR approved? 

considering in most states they are technically not legal :( 

You could argue that they're adjustable shock absorbers, not technically coilovers since the springs and shocks are separate pieces.

Right, one side in, wasn't too painful. Dampening adjustment is piss easy, just a turn or two with the key thing and you're good to go. I set mine to standard.

The instructions are shit. Really unclear, and I have a bunch of extra pieces that I have no idea what they do - couple of extra collar things and some plastic bushing looking things.

I have no idea how to adjust the height either - it specifically says don't use the collars under the springs for that, says use the "bracket" which I have NFI what they mean by that.

Extra bits are for brake lines which don't apply.

Most coilovers I've seen you adjust the height with the collar at the very bottom where it fits to the control arm but there's no such adjustment here.

The nut on top of the shock tower is spinning the entire arm of the shock too so not sure how to tension it properly - nothing to hold on to to.

One side is higher than the other as it's to do with road camber and load requirements. This pic is one ZI took when changing over to the king springs that are in my wagon now.

20150726_120202_zpseb8c8qjl.jpg

Cheers guys. Probably mixed up left and right springs.

Both sides are now in, gonna drop it soon and adjust it. As far as I can tell height adjustment must be with the spring seat collar, there's no other way I can see.

Will put pics up later.

Just finished and took it for a drive around the block.

Somehow my guessimation of the required number of turns for the right height I wanted was pretty good, was about 1.5cm lower than my previous setup on each side but good enough for today. Can fine tune it later. As far as I can tell the height adjustment must be done by the spring seating collar which I always thought was not the way to do it.

Took it for a quick spin.

Didn't really give it too much of a flog since it wasn't really warm and I can hardly see (dusty windscreen+shitty headlights :D). It drives straight which is good, shouldn't need a wheel alignment. Hates speed humps just as much as before - the whole front end goes up.

Took it over a bumpy road and the new setup seems to have taken a lot of the edge off. No longer feels like the screws are rattling out of my dash but you do still feel it. Compared to the AU or one of the camry's here it still rides kinda harsh. Probably more to do with the nolathane bushes I guess.

Think I might have gone too thick on the sway bars since it's initially a bit unresponsive but once you get it to a certain point it turns in nicely. Had the same issue with the Kings+Monroe's.

Won't really be able to tell until I take it for a proper spin around the twisties but I'm gonna say that just cruising around you probably won't notice any difference, I think it seemed a little less under-steery but since I never really pushed it I'm going to reserve judgement until I get the chance to actually throw it into some corners properly.

Gonna say that if you're just building a weekend cruiser or for a Fairlane/LTD or whatever, there's no reason to buy them over a standard setup other than the adjustability. Just driving like a normal human being I couldn't really notice too much difference.