Sign in to follow this  
adrianphu123

replacing front main seal

Hey guys,

Noticed oil being thrown off the front of the motor, suspect its being thrown off the harmonic balancer meaning im down for a front main seal. Are these hard to replace? Anything i should look out for?

thanks

adrian

to much oil in a crossy can push oil out there check that first

basic job pull balancer remove timing cover replace seal and refit. the balancer on these engine seem to wear a groove in the balancer more then some of the other engines ive seen. you can not push the seal in so it runs further back on the balancer or you can replace the balancer  

note when pulling it apart if your going to use the sump gasket again make sure you dont break the gasket off where it conected to the timing cover

oil level is fine, might think about replacing the balancer with a powerbond street unit as they're not terribly expensive. Does the radiator and fan need to come out?

oil level is fine, might think about replacing the balancer with a powerbond street unit as they're not terribly expensive. Does the radiator and fan need to come out?

Radiator, definitely, fan I'm not too sure about, but Gregory manual says yes.

Big bolt: rattle gun if available, if not, breaker bar with gearbox in 4th gear, handbrake on. If auto, remove bellhousing dust cover or the starter motor and wedge a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth to stop engine turning.

When using the puller

Big bolt: rattle gun if available, if not, breaker bar with gearbox in 4th gear, handbrake on. If auto, remove bellhousing dust cover or the starter motor and wedge a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth to stop engine turning.

When using the puller, make sure you put something over the crank snout for the puller to push on. I've damaged the thread in the crank by not doing this.

Now's a good time to do your water pump while everything's apart.

The new balancer may be a bit tight going on. The last one I did on a 4.0 needed heating in the centre of the balancer to get it to slide on, as I'm not comfortable with hitting a crank end-on with a sledgie. A butane blowtorch is all you need, just so the black paint is starting to smoulder. Obviously, don't go near the rubber dampener. Spray a bit of CRC or something on the snout, and away you go, be quick and concise about it, otherwise if you stop halfway you'll be pulling it back off and starting again.

thanks for the advice guys, bolt has been removed. Just waiting on a puller, then i'll remove the radiator and pull the balancer off. Water pump was just done a month ago so that'll stay.

def pull the fan off. as gerg said, reinstalling the pulley is a pain, you'll need all the space you can get.

also, as a guide, put a similar sized washer (to the crank pulley washer) over the puller so as not to ruin the thread. (i buggered one up too).