Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ando81

Good gas cam recommendations

Hi all, I'm after some opinions of who makes a good gas cam to suit my crossflow that I'm going to put in my ute. I just want more bottom end torque for towing and daily driving. I've been told the Crow 14613 is a good cam. Was also told to look for a Wade but they no longer operate. I'm getting a spec sheet sent to me about a Clive gas cam to check it out also. Anyone got any wisdom to share? Its currently dual fuel with a weber carb but am considering going straight gas with an impco mixer onto an efi throttle body. I appreciate any input

Not on the camshaft topic, but Dedicated fuel is meant to be better than duel.

Can easily tune something to work fine on one fuel, tuning it to run well on two different systems is meant to be a lot harder.

Just saying as you mentioned going straight gas.

I got talked into going with the Clive cam. I've been told Clive has many years experience in the game and is a legend at his craft. And he's an owner operator so I'd rather give him my money than to a large company, just my old fashioned values.

Just wondering if anyone has changed their cam bearings at home before? I went to install my new cam and the reasonably new cam bearing seems to have been damaged either by me removing the old cam or by the engine rebuilders when the cam was installed. Can only really see damage on the front bearing but would rather replace the four of them just to be sure. I have the engine on a stand but don't have a cam bearing puller.

It's not impossible at home but most people who need their engine machined get the cam bearings installed at the machine shop with the correct mandrel/pilot tool. I think crossys use the same diameter bearing front to rear (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) but I know each one on clevos are different, requiring 5 separate tools (why the fuck they did that I don't know).

You need to pay attention to the orientation of the oil hole when knocking one in, so it lines up with the gallery. Other than that, not too hard really.

If you could post a pic of the damage, we might be able to advise whether it's worth doing or not. Cam bearings aren't as critical as big-ends or mains, as they only cop half the bearing speed and minimal load (basically just the valvetrain pushing back on it). If it's just a little bruise I wouldn't get too excited over it.

I know each one on clevos are different, requiring 5 separate tools (why the fuck they did that I don't know).

Easier for cam removal. but, as you said, you need 5 mandrels to install them. PITA. Not too sure on Xeez.

I must say in the 14 years ive been playing with crossys ive never change the cam bearings with the engine together althow it is one thing ive always let the machine shop do for me

you will find if the cam bearings are not real good the rest of them will be even worse and id pull the whole thing down messure it all up and linnish crank check and or close and hone them and screw it back together

ive been the cam change path many times these days I just rering and bearing them as a 2nd hand engine with a cam will not last the test of time, 1 year in you will be building it anyways. that or shut your eyes fit the cam and hope in a year you can fit it to your new one

its is your engine its just free advice re ring it now a stock engine is only $250 in bearings and rings to build and buy your self a bottle hone to hone the block and $80 to linnish the crank and what ever they charge to check the rods

Thanks for the input lads, I've decided that Dave's right. My local machine shop can pull out the old cam bearings and check the Pistons, rods and crank. I will do a hone job and throw new rings & bearings in while its stripped. It would be a waste of money to go so far and not check the last few rotating parts for wear. Don't want to be throwing money away if it did happen to go bang!

So I've got my new engine running and am really happy with it but I'm going to go to straight gas with an impco mixer on an efi manifold. Is a model L impco convertor best suited to a 220 mixer or would a b2 convertor be best? Would appreciate any input

So I've got my new engine running and am really happy with it but I'm going to go to straight gas with an impco mixer on an efi manifold. Is a model L impco convertor best suited to a 220 mixer or would a b2 convertor be best? Would appreciate any input

Impco L and B2 are basically the same. plenty good for a 225 impco. NEW is the way to go on the converter, the old ones can be very old, and just undoing the screws to replace gaskets and diaphrams can be a challenge..

If you haven't bought the mixer yet, a 300 would be better. I had a Nolff's 300 on my Corty and went well, better than the 225 on my EA (accounting for the weight difference)

might need to get creative plumbing one up, but i agree, the 300a should be good. i am tempted to try one on an XG to replace an old 200

found this image which shows how someone adapted one

InlettSunroofPics003.jpg

ELmotor.jpg