Server maintenance Read more... ×
Mr Polson

Paint Protection Film

You have fun with that. That is absolute shit to get off that stuff. Rubberised caramel wheel would be my suggestion and even then your going to be there  forever and will probably mark the paint underneath. Which in turn means you will have to paint the panel. Which still means the stuff has to come off and your back to your initial predicament. LOL. Someone else might have an easy way of doing it.

I would if I had a heat gun.

Hair dryer worked on pinstripe for me previously but I'd say this stuff is a little more heavy duty.

If I could hook up an endless supply of boiling water it'd make it easier but that doesn't seem very possible.

I can under stand the idea behind this stuff but it hasn't stood up to age very well :/ think a clip on bonnet protector is a much better idea.

Sorry mate, you have a long road ahead.

Everytime i have bought a new car, they always try to sell me that crap. That stuff is the worst thing for paint. it gets in all the uneven minor microscopic areas and fills them, hence why they sell it the way they do. Great theory, if it actually worked. Had a few people chuck the towel in and sand the car back and re clear it which they reckon was a much cheaper and quicker way of doing it because theres not much out there to get it off, let alone quicker that i know of im afraid.

Hmm, I was thinking of getting that done to our Subaru so when we go camping the gravel roads don't wreck the bloody thing.

Not so sure now...

Buy a car bra if you're that worried, this stuff is shit.

Plus rocks and stones still chip through this stuff.

Buy a heat gun, it is a good investment. I ended up having to do a similar job and had to go out and buy one. Am surprised at exactly how much I have used the heat gun since then!

Buy a car bra if you're that worried, this stuff is shit. Plus rocks and stones still chip through this stuff.

Lol il put up with stone chips and pay for a respray before I use a car bra lol.

The reason I liked the film is because it's virtually invisible.

Yeah that looks shite. Imagine how bad the paint would be if it was never there though

I don't think it would be too bad. Pics might make make it to see but it looks like the plastic has split from age more than damage.

Theyre not scratch marks or anything either, it's just where dirt has built up on the residue.

And if you don't want stone chips, fit a bonnet protector - as in a plastic one.

I don't think it would be too bad. Pics might make make it to see but it looks like the plastic has split from age more than damage.

Theyre not scratch marks or anything either, it's just where dirt has built up on the residue.

And if you don't want stone chips, fit a bonnet protector - as in a plastic one.

Ahhh. I thought they where scratches / marks from stones etc.

Not into any form of bonnet protectors personally. Maybe if i was going on a massive road trip i might consider a car bra if i was trying to protect a fresh paint job.

mate not sure how it would go but I seem to remember a painter years ago using a petrol dampened soft rag and working it along the edge of the transfer. this softened the glue and he just kept lifting the edge with his fingernail. not sure if this would work on the new adhesives but it worked on the supper roo stripes back then  suggest you try a small section first to see if it works  o and if you do try it don't f'n smoke or you will have bigger troubles

remember this is only a suggestion ok

cheers demmo

Updates.

This got the film off - with a lot of scraping and time.

8b729d7f0bfc4558a2f0635ef4a25b3d.jpg

bf71c5cd1bc199379472875b2b68c3ac.jpg

Then we were left with a bonnet covered in awfully sticky residue.

95ecf7e8681fde19c2c534e64cde7b61.jpg

Tried all sorts to get it off, degreaser, eucalyptus oil, metho, nothing was working.

Then has this recommended (avaliable at Bunnings in cleaning section).

88a5c4aeb0fbf7def16ed88f2fde75a6.jpg

Ta-Da!!

48f17cc3d496010fea6f5c8383412fb0.jpg

Gave this a good proper detail, still a faint line where the contact ended, but apart from that no sign it was ever there.

Once we got all the residue off there was no sign of any scratches either, despite the tears in the film.

b72f8aaf1fd94b7ce5f31f23b9d70cd4.jpg