Server maintenance Read more... ×
Mr Polson

Number Plate Info and Fees in your state

Thought it may be good to have somewhere to post info about number plate rules and fees for each state.

Please only provide verifiable information.

In Tas you have to pay a fee for new number plates or duplicates.

New plates (eg registering a vehicle whose plates had been previously surrendered) are $20.38 (not sure if each or pair). New plates will be of most modern style, and you can only choose what is currently in the Service Tas store.

You are able to return old style plates and purchase new ones if you do not wish to pay the duplicate fees.

To have a duplicate pair of plates printed is $77. Doing this requires previous existing plates to be surrendered, and the reprints will be of the modern style of plates (not correct to period). For example if I had reprints of the latest fitted to my ute, they would have the new Tas logo on them, and a different slogan at the bottom.

Personalized plates (known as Tasplates) range from $195 to $1,495 depending on style.

TasPlates are a one off purchase and do not attract an annual or renewal fee.

Tasmania does not allow for standard issue plates to be transferred from person to person, but they may be transferred from vehicle to vehicle.

Ok, so heres SA:

Custom plates offer the largest range of colour options, plate sizes and choice of combinations to compliment your car. Choose any combination of letters and numbers from 1 to 7 characters (must include at least one letter).

Size options:

• Standard 371mm x 133mm
  • Slim 371mm x 100mm
  • Square 300mm x 150mm

Available for motor cycles in the following sizes:

• 1-6 characters 214mm x 95mm
  • 7 characters 252mm x 98mm

Price:

• 1-6 Characters: $200 per year
  • 7 Characters: $255 per year

Euro plates are specially made to fit European designed vehicles. These plates are issued from S EA 00A and there is no choice of character combination. You will receive the next number in the series. Available for motor vehicles only.

Size option:

• Standard (front and rear) 520mm x 112mm

Price:

• $150 per year

The plate you order on this site will be manufactured in the approved series. There is no choice of character combination - you will receive the next number in the series.

Personalised plates offer you a choice of letters and numbers (separated by the piping shrike) on a coloured plate.

Choose any combination of the following:

1. letter followed by 5 numbers (e.g. A12345)
  2. letters followed by 4 numbers (e.g. AB1234)
  3. letters followed by 3 numbers (e.g. ABC123)
  4. letters followed by 2 numbers (e.g. ABCD12)
  5. letters followed by 1 number (e.g. ABCDE1)

Size options:

• Standard 371mm x 133mm
  • Slim 371mm x 100mm

Available for motor cycles in the following size: 252mm x 98mm 

Price: A once off payment of $180

Premium plates are a sleek plate that gives your car style. These plates are issued in black on white background (issued sequentially only from AA000A) or white on black background (issued sequentially from XX000A). Available for motor vehicles only.

Size options:

• Premium slim 371mm x 83mm
  • Premium standard 371mm x 106mm
  • Square 300mm x 150mm

Price:

• A once off payment of $150 for black on white background series (from AA000A)
  • A once off payment of $220 for white on black background series (from XX000A)

The plate you order on this site will be manufactured in the approved series. There is no choice of character combination - you will receive the next number in the series.

Reallocation rights may be purchased for an additional $54 and entitle the owner to re-allocate the plate to another vehicle registered in the same name.

R&S Series plates can be ordered in any available combination starting with S or R that has not been on a registered vehicle within the past 5 years. Available for motor vehicles only.

Size options:

• Standard (front and rear) 371mm x 133mm

Price:

• A once off payment of $76*

* This fee includes a once of fee of $54 for reallocation rights. Reallocation rights entitle the owner to re-allocate the plate to another vehicle registered in the same name.

Corporate number plates FIX-PC-1-Plate.gif      From $190.

Themed number plates SM_Set_Clipsal.jpg  SM_Set_Zoo.jpg  From $190 - includes Clipsal500 and Zoo plates

General-issue number plates ps_general_issue.gif $22 replacement fee.

n.s.w doesnt get much better, my bike plate cost me $109 to order then $40 to have the right to display, then $180 on top of my rego every year after the 1st, its a joke, i still have the plate as a wall decoration now, they have sent me letters to surrender the plate i told them the insurence company took bike with plate attached lol

myPlates  

a link to browes n.s.w plates ,

Yeah you get dicked in NSW pretty hard (cue unfamilia).

I'm still kicking myself for surrendering the original plates on my XD - they told me I couldn't keep them. Bastards wouldn't re-issue me with the same ones, said I had to buy personalised ones if I wanted the original letter/number combo. Not much point if they were about to turn the original plates into coke cans.

Still wishing I'd just told them they were lost and paid to keep the original combo.

Yeah you get dicked in NSW pretty hard (cue unfamilia).

I'm still kicking myself for surrendering the original plates on my XD - they told me I couldn't keep them. Bastards wouldn't re-issue me with the same ones, said I had to buy personalised ones if I wanted the original letter/number combo. Not much point if they were about to turn the original plates into coke cans.

Still wishing I'd just told them they were lost and paid to keep the original combo.

my mate bought n xh ute ,to get these plates YGT-071 thing is 1st two years storage $130 a year ,i took him into pay for his 3rd year of storage, they olny charged him $55 and said if he decides to use them in the next 12 months he gets his 55 bucks back,lol

7 letters what ever you want for $185 in the nt.

Slimline, couple of colours and types etc makes no difference last I checked.

Still times change.

It used to be $50 for them few years ago hence 80% of plates in the nt are private plates.

There was some beauties before they cracked down on offence plates.

Friggen crack up working out meanings when I got up.

Most of the good ones are gone now due to complaints

I still see fcr4me around so maybe by chance that is his/true initials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These used to cost $500 a year in NSW, probably different now as that was 6 years ago:

madxb_zpsnna6flgv.jpg

These only costed $75 a year in NSW, again about 3 years ago:

100_2849.jpg

And these yellow ones were $700 a year in NSW over 8 years ago:

ef_xr6_zpsov7exrqe.jpg