Dyllan187

Dyllans 1978 F-350 tow truck

keep thinking about buying one of these but then i keep thinking, if i do that, it'll only encourage me to buy more cars because then i don't have to go through all the crap with trailers, towing, winching etc etc

mmmmmmm pondering.........

Always loved f350 banana backs,

Power steering?

Except how they turn, steer and drive in general........ right?

:P

I put a whole heap of effort into the steering system, on the F250 we've got at work.

Pulled the whole front end right down.

Got a genuine Ford F-series parts manual, and imported a heap of genuine NOS stuff from the USA.

(And Gaz reckon'd our one drove pretty decent before.)

Thought it's about time I shared my new toy.

78 351 dedicated gas still registered as a class 1 tow truck

Here's a question for you -

does it have reverse threads, on the L/H rear wheel studs?

Thought it's about time I shared my new toy.

78 351 dedicated gas still registered as a class 1 tow truck

Here's a question for you -

does it have reverse threads, on the L/H rear wheel studs?

Nah mate standard studs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so basically the truck was advertised for $6,500 and I was the only one to show up and look.

I scored it for under $4,000 with the condition that he kept the MSD, gas carb, power steering and bench seat.

I have been supplied with the stock elec dizzy, 650 holley, bucket seats and I will be getting a manual steering box if I can't afford to buy back the power steering and yes I know it'll be heavy without power steering.

The other end of the deal was that the truck was delivered (100 Kay's from where I bought it) because it's still a manual and I'm not legally allowed to drive it - not to mention it has a fucked uni

Ok so basically the truck was advertised for $6,500 and I was the only one to show up and look.

I scored it for under $4,000 with the condition that he kept the MSD, gas carb, power steering and bench seat.

What odd conditions for the seller to impose......... LOL!

I would've negotiated an extra $1k or something, to keep those parts on the truck - if that's what it took.

Especially the bench seat and power steering.

From memory, the factory manual F-series of that vintage (5th Gen), came out of the factory with the Canadian 300 iron head six cyl.

Is it a factory six?

Many of the Dually and 4x4 F350's, had reverse thread wheel studs on the left hand rear wheel only - to apparently prevent loosening of the driving wheels - as the F-series 8 stud wheels aren't hub-centric. 

What odd conditions for the seller to impose......... LOL!

I would've negotiated an extra $1k or something, to keep those parts on the truck - if that's what it took.

Especially the bench seat and power steering.

From memory, the factory manual F-series of that vintage (5th Gen), came out of the factory with the Canadian 300 iron head six cyl.

Is it a factory six?

Many of the Dually and 4x4 F350's, had reverse thread wheel studs on the left hand rear wheel only - to apparently prevent loosening of the driving wheels - as the F-series 8 stud wheels aren't hub-centric. 

I would've loved to but I was pushing shit up hill to get the loan for it anyway. At the time my pension was my only income because I lost my job. Not so fussed about the seat coz cripples like me don't get on well with them. I get in any vehicle with the seat all the way back then move it forward once my legs are in

I'm reasonably certain that it's a factory 8 because of the fact that it has the T-18 Toploader in it. The common 4 speed out of the 350's - I wish it had the T-19 I'd make more money from selling it on

keep thinking about buying one of these but then i keep thinking, if i do that, it'll only encourage me to buy more cars because then i don't have to go through all the crap with trailers, towing, winching etc etc

mmmmmmm pondering.........

3.8 tonne reversable Thomas whinch that's on a remote coupled with v8 power and old school cool - no harm in that

tow truck arriving on a towtruck... interesting

i should have bought something like that 10yrs ago.. sort of over playing with junk now.

whats it like rust wise, usually the firewall is a mess on the ones i have seen

Fire wall appears ok so far

It's starting to swear around the back corners of the cab

b51263608fe6d879f372eaad2b517446.jpg

Steering column plastics, ignition switch, barrell and door locks replaced. It was stolen from the previous owner

Very Nice just like what I want. I've been wanting to buy one for years but they are always to expensive or selling when I haven't got the money.

My Grandfathers old 73-76 F350 was brought by a local panel beaters, BTB smash repairs in Bendigo and was turned into a Beaver tail when he traded it in back in around '89.

Decent truck mate I work on a few of these for a bloke such clunk and rattlers but they keep on keeping on

I did one a few years back me and a mate did it I put in all the time and bought another truck for the tray and he as it turns out only does shit for money and sold it 5 seconds after I finished it I did not even get the money for the tray back

:( 

Yeah electric winches are awesome I have a 6.6hp 12,000lb one on my car trailer.

Yeah it was an unexpected expense but I can't tow without it