scottly

Panel blocking rub throughs help needed

Hey guys, I am currently working on my doors for the Xd ute and i have rubbed through to bare metal in a few spots and edges. what is the process of spraying the bare metal sections is it a case of mask off the primed and exposed body filler leaving the bare metal sections exposed to be etch primed, or can you just spot etch prime out of a pressure pack using the same paint on the bare metal and not worry about over spray on the filler and on the normal primer that's the real question?

Thanks guys

I only use 2 pac primer filler, and as such I have limited experience in single pak applications.  What I will say is that you risk frying the edges with the single pack and the bog.  When I repaired Cam's torana recently I had trouble with frying.  I ended up continually spraying it with etch and rubbing until I got it.  Not ideal and not something I would normally do.  the 2 pac systems are just so superior - that's why most use them.

That's all I got.  I'm sure other will be more help

generally when i rub through i mix up a wet mix of primer filler and just give it a light coat just before i paint the colour

also when rubbing with any block remember to stay away from folds or body lines and edges, only use the block on flat areas

You can get a single pak spot primer in a spay bomb for rub throughs and fry ups. Says it's suitable under two pack systems as well. Ive used it under two pac and no problems so far. 2 pack primer would be better and seems to work fine on small areas of bare steel.

Does anyone use "isolator" anymore to avoid fry-ups? When I sprayed acrylics onto an unknown substrate I'd use this stuff. Back when "Dulon" was a brand of acrylic paint you could trust. I believe it's methylated spirits based and provides an impervious layer to whatever you spray on top. Ando's correct though regarding two-pack...since I started spraying 2K those issues are in the past. It's a bit naughty outside the industrial domain but possible with the correct care, attention, equipment and acreage!,

I think I was getting to excited with the air speed file I rubbed through on edges and on the Edge of a low. I bought some 1k etch primer cans so I'll mask up the filler and primed areas and spot prime the exposed steel hopefully no fry ups

if there massive rub thru's id suggest it might need more panel beating if just a few small ones, find a spray can of primer in the same brand of the material your using.

they all have rub thru spot primer. basically you block the job. spray the rub thrus then finish sand to get it ready to paint. if needed re apply on any rub thru's.

then light quick skiff with 800 dry just to make it feel smooth before you start painting. it is all designed to stick to each other and formulated to not fry etc.