Server maintenance Read more... ×
Hertz

XG Auto to T5 Conversion

Hi all,

I am definitely wanting to convert my XG to a manual and T5 is probably the cheapest way. And I am by no means a mechanic, that's what the XG is for... To learn.

So here come the questions...

I am looking to buy a complete manual car that is cheap to convert my ute to a manual and I would just like to know what would be the best model to get so that everything fits straight in? I have been reading that some tailshafts are different and need to be changed, so I am trying to avoid purchasing much but another donor car. Also, what will need to be changed (bellhousing? Etc?)?

Thanks,

Harley

The tailshaft you have will fit straight into a t5 so no dramas there.

If you can,find a cheap ea or eb manual,that will give you everything but the pedal box.

As the pedal box ix specific to xd-xg your better just getting a second hand one off ebay,or buying one of the rare spares pin kits.

Nothing but another xg will have everything in one package to suit another xg,eseries is the closest.

Bellhousing, pedal box, hole in the floor may need to be bigger, and you need a spigot bearing I believe?

Probably also a good time to change the rear main if its leaky.

It's not a hard conversion (well 3sp manual XF to T5 wasn't), and it's well worth it!! At least you don't have to try and search around for a xflow T5 bellhousing :)

As said, doesn't matter, all e-series motors have same bellhousing pattern, and all T5s are the same (well I think theres a few different ratios but that doesnt matter)!

All you'll have to hunt down if you get the EA will be a pedal box.

All I done to my xg was use the auto pedal box and got a 75×16mm bolt two nuts and a washer and a piece of plate about 70×50×3 that to help spread the load on the pedal box. I have done this setup in three cars sofar and none have had a issue.

Sounds sweet as! Just watch the firewall, they tend to crack out because of the clutch being heavy and the pedal box effectively wants to pull the outer skin thru. My XF Panno has a t5 (factory) and the firewall has cracked once.