Sign in to follow this  
93xf

C4 Auto Conversion from T5

Hi Guys,

Replacing the T5 with a C4 in my XF sedan.

Can anyone tell me if I need an auto pedal box or whether I can get a away with removing the clutch pedal and putting an auto brake pedal in as I have heard replacing the whole pedal box isn't easy...

Also, will I need a new gearbox cross member? Or can the manual cross member be used on the auto with a few easy mods?

Thanks in advance :).

Pedal box swap can be done in 15-20 minutes, maybe 30. Can ether unbolt it steering column and let it rest on the drivers seat or take it out completely. You can swap the brake pedals over with the assembely in place but the shaft will need to be tapped out, i havent done that method before though, cant remember how the pedal is held in place. Yep you will need to change the trans cross member to the straight one as the XF T5 cross members are 'bananna' shapped.

the cross member is different to T5, and i think you'll find swapping the pedal just as hard as swapping the pedal assy whole. although it can be done.(i wouldnt do it)

the speedo gear on the C4 will need to be kept too from memory.
the rest should be pretty much no issue HOWEVER
your flywheel to flexplate bolt holes might be different thickness if you have a late model XF (1986 onwards ish,)
there is a number near the oil pressure switch on the block 83DA  something  84DAsomething or 86DA something, the 86 is the smaller bolt thickness. not sure if the flexplate is same for C4 to BW on crossflow, but look into that if needed