wagoon

Battery to boot install, cable to big?

So moving my battery to boot and have some welding earth cable for the power cable, its 70mm square or 00AWG in size. Is this size cable going to cause issues like voltage drop because of the size of the cable. The battery is a yellow top ultima deep cycle/ starting battery.

My plan was to run the 00AWG wire from the battery to the firewall than join it to 2AWG for a short distance, which would then go into a distributon block. Almost all distribution blocks are 0 or 2 AWG input thats why I though join the 00AWG into the 2AWG (I have some 2AWG cable so thats why I want to use that size). Then out of the block I can run power to things like msd box, thermo's, gauges as well as all factory power cables.

way i did mine 0 gauge front to rear, goes into a dist block in the front then into the motor, i had to run an upgraded wire to go to the starter motor otherwise would take a few turns to kick over, other then that worked perfect - i ran mine through the cabin 

if you are moving your battery ,another thing you must do is run an good sized wire from the back of your altenator to directly to your starter motor this aids in stopping voltage drop, and gives motor maxium amps on start up,

i have seen cars without this and the wiring gets a little warm.also dont forget the starter relay, itl need to keep a good supply of power to that or you could run into problems

Yeah I already have the cable running through the cabin of the car to the firewall. I was thinking of running some 2awg wire to starter out of the dist block but I just dont know if you can go to big on wiring. I know the bigger cable helps with resistance but can you go to big and start causing problem?

So the only issue your going to get is a weight penalty. No... seriously... 00 gauge? That's epic. But also fine.

No issues running that size cable.

As always make sure you run a circuit breaker or fuse AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the battery, and another one off the charge wire from the alternator. You don't want to short cable that thick to ground without protection, Or you'll probably weld the plates together in the battery, or turn the car into a molten ball of steel.

Larger cables can cause issues electrically in some circumstances, But that involves AC which you don't need to worry about.

You know the biggest issue here is people over thinking and just not doing it. It will be more than fine.I run -4 gauge on the ute with ZERO issues. Yes there will be voltage drop in any run of cable thats a given but the amount of drop on cable that size and potential load it will be under is no where near a issue for you or that cable. 

Thanks for that Crazy.

Sly the reason for my question is it had been mentioned by someone that I know that running the 00 size would cause problems. But I always look for a second opinion on things and lucky I did.

I cant see a issue with 0 guage I have 0 in the towtoy the ghia turbo corrty and all the v8 cortys and never had a issue

the only thing I would run a starter relay the ghia never had one and it would start dead cold but hot it would not crank

I run my power cable straight to my starter but run a busbar under the left side of the car to run the different things most as you have already talked about

run a extra earth from the engine to the body XEs already have one off the bellhousing but I ran another one cause if it does not have a good ground it will use my B&M cable as one

What he said^

Your engine ground needs to be as big as the starter supply. If you bolt 00 awg onto the starter then your gonna need to bolt 00 awg somewhere between the engine and the chassis. Make sure it gets good metal to metal contact.

why not use a small battery and mount it behind the dash or in an XE under the charcoal canister down low? I never understood the need for huge batteries in simple cars

http://www.braillebattery.com.au/index.php/braille/product_accessory/b14115_b14115c_aluminum_mount_kit

http://www.braillebattery.com.au/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b14115

That's all you really need, if you want to save some more you can get the DEKA equivalent, it started my xflow without any problems, 5.5kg all up, that's over 10kg off the front of the car and you only have to runs short cables if you mount it just below the charcoal canister 

I have bought battery cable, a few metres of red and a metre of black, and have bought a battery box for the boot and an isolator. I still need to buy a distributor block and a 150A? inline fuse.

Can someone put up a link of what distributor block they used?

Do i run it to the block then out the other side to the starter?

I'm bloody useless with wiring so really could do with a 'battery to boot install for dumb shits' thread to read, shit, i don't even know what size the red and black cable is that i bought, i got it from Autobarn, it said battery cable so i bought it. lol.

Any help that doesn't confuse the shit out of me is appreciated.