RAWDEAL

Sourcing Alternative/Replacement Turbo for a Ba xr6t ?

A friend of mine bought a ba xr6t ute.. 

Drove it 300ks and the engine threw a leg out of bed

he wants to replace the turbo with something of a decent brand like a garrett

Are the factory xr6t Ball bearing/ceramic or bush?? 

** It does not have to be the exact same turbo as what they come out with from the factory, as he is getting it tuned straight away

** What are some other turbos that are a bit cheaper? He can only find quotes for 2800+ for a new turbo?

** He suggested a Recore. (as its not really damaged he is just paranoid haha) . But i am not sure if buying just a new core allows you to just slot it in and away she goes ? 

I could have sworn i used to have a bookmark of a place that sells very similar turbos for 1100$, but i cant find it 

I recoed one a little while ago for a guy got a new core off fleebay and stuck his housings on it and stuck it on its stock that one but my mates ones on 15psi and has the same core and he has had no issuses and man he gives it a hard time :D

there on fleebay for about 600 bucks

I recoed one a little while ago for a guy got a new core off fleebay and stuck his housings on it and stuck it on its stock that one but my mates ones on 15psi and has the same core and he has had no issuses and man he gives it a hard time :D

there on fleebay for about 600 bucks

ive never done it , if i buy a new core is it easy or i think its just slot it in and index it ? 

Ive been told there is a factory oil filter that's bolted to the block that feeds the oil to the turbo some times this can get dirty and starve the turbos oil supply make sure your mate replaces the filter or the same thing could happen to the new turbo some one correct me if this is incorrect

They don't have a filter from factory if memory serves, as that's why everyone upgrades the oil feed with a kit that has one included

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Ive been told there is a factory oil filter that's bolted to the block that feeds the oil to the turbo some times this can get dirty and starve the turbos oil supply make sure your mate replaces the filter or the same thing could happen to the new turbo some one correct me if this is incorrect

yeah hes all over that lol.

EARLS make a bolt in replacement. but you HAVE TO wash the filter every oil change. or it clogs and the turbo doesnt like that

i think the earls is one size up line as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine bought a ba xr6t ute..

Drove it 300ks and the engine threw a leg out of bed

he wants to replace the turbo with something of a decent brand like a garrett

Are the factory xr6t Ball bearing/ceramic or bush??

** It does not have to be the exact same turbo as what they come out with from the factory, as he is getting it tuned straight away

** What are some other turbos that are a bit cheaper? He can only find quotes for 2800+ for a new turbo?

** He suggested a Recore. (as its not really damaged he is just paranoid haha) . But i am not sure if buying just a new core allows you to just slot it in and away she goes ?

I could have sworn i used to have a bookmark of a place that sells very similar turbos for 1100$, but i cant find it

BA-BF XR6T is a Garrett GT3582R with a 1.06AR turbine housing, they are ball bearing . You can get an exchange turbo for $1550 from GCG. It would have a new ball bearing cartridge and be as good as new. Or just get the CHRA for $1150. GAS/rotormaster do a bolt on upgrade too not sure of cost. Bolting the CHRA onto the comp cover and turbine housing is easy, just be careful not to damage the wheels.

There are other turbos that could be made to fit, but would require mods to oil/water lines not to mention finding a turbo with a large enough ( xr6t is 1.06 AR ) turbine housing with a T3 flange to fit the factory manifold. All other aftermarket options with optimally sized turbine housing options are only available in T4 flange. You can get t3-t4 adapters, which aren't the best solution. You would make a new manifold. So a factory replacement or for something larger than factory - a 66mm comp wheel upgrade or "high flow " would be a good option and most cost effective in the end. Unless you're shooting for the stratosphere the factory turbo is a good thing.

You may want to upgrade the wastegate port/flap while you're at it and possibly upgrade to a higher spring pressure actuator.