Server maintenance Read more... ×
xwroo

efi 5L into an Xw

HI all,

I'm certain this would of been a topic before, if there is a link can someone post it please. So I recently was given a efi 302 Windsor which I had no use or plans for but before I turf it I would like to know the pros and cons of putting it into my XW. I just want the basic common questions answered, work involved, costed, what fixes and what doesn't, any fab work to be done, is it a 'simple' bolt in, what mounts need to be use, gearboxes, tail shafts and diffs and are they a reliable motor any faults with them etc etc...

Thanks for any help/advice...

Sorry bud, not straight bolt in.

You'll need whole wiring loom, computers and anything electrical to start with. You may find that you wont need every single thing as some things will be deleted.

then a modified exhaust system.

if you want to go manual, you will need a different pedal box

a whole overhauled braking system with modern set up

You will need to buy yourself a j3 as well to delete smartlock.

you will need a different dash set up

you will need to either modify a set of engine mounts to do to previous k frame (is your xw a 6 or an 8?) or another k frame altogether.

i havent personally done it but have seen it done, it is not, and i mean not, for the faint hearted or someone who gives up half way through.

i had a xm coupe once that had it done, and it was a nightmare to take to a mechanics for anything more then a service so best to document EVERYTHING and take plenty of photos (for the forum as well  :) ) as you may need these in the future for any problem solving or new buyer.

if you can do most of it yourself, you will save a shitload of coin but if you cant and dont have many mates in it, its going to take some coin.

Thanks for that gromet88. I didn't have plans of putting that engine in, the thought popped in for a brief moment but now its none lol. Just wanted to know what was involved that's all. 

HI all,

I'm certain this would of been a topic before, if there is a link can someone post it please. So I recently was given a efi 302 Windsor which I had no use or plans for but before I turf it I would like to know the pros and cons of putting it into my XW. I just want the basic common questions answered, work involved, costed, what fixes and what doesn't, any fab work to be done, is it a 'simple' bolt in, what mounts need to be use, gearboxes, tail shafts and diffs and are they a reliable motor any faults with them etc etc...

Thanks for any help/advice...

Physically the 302w efi will drop straight into the XW using Cleveland mounts and pedestals.

If you look up Rawdeal (I think) on here, he has a efi 302 running in his XB.

The only hard part in my opinion is the electrics, but any one with some smarts would sort this quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Physically the 302w efi will drop straight into the XW using Cleveland mounts and pedestals.

If you look up Rawdeal (I think) on here, he has a efi 302 running in his XB.

The only hard part in my opinion is the electrics, but any one with some smarts would sort this quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to make things simple 

Electric Carby fuel pump (I think holley do a good one that is cheap)

Carby of your choice (maybe a 650 holley)

Manifold of your choice (eldebrock do a lot of good ones for the 302w)

You can keep the original 302efi dizzy

use a Msd #6530 Ignition box

if you look at my build thread which should be in my signature.. it will show you how to make it run without the standard efi302w aircon pump/powersteering ect 

The motor will bolt in like any other early Windsor.

You will require to override the smart lock or smart shield as fitted to later AU's. There are a few options in doing this.

if you maintain the BTW auto, you may need to mod the cross member & tailshaft.

You could bolt an early C4 or toploader with the early bellhousing, you just need a 50oz flywheel/flex plate. Doing this will not require crossmember or tailshaft swap.

You could swap the from dress to run V belts or set your car up with power steering ( I'd go rack conversion ) & run the serpentine belt.

I spoken in depth with a couple engineers regarding brakes, vented front discs & drums on the rear were sufficient to stop a 351 clevo, so getting it to pull up a 5.0 litre injected Windsor won't be an issue.

At the end of the day, the only thing the engineer would be looking at is the injection, since the origins & capacity of that motor was readily available in 1969 in the form of 302 Windsor.

( flat tappet, carby version ).

its n easy conversion, just ditch the efi manifold n fit a 4 brrl manifold n hot wire the dizzy and itl be in an running before you know it, no wiring loom nothing using the xw stock wiring

if you need more info please ask.

ive got a wiring short cut here for the dizzy, etc

you can use old x series v8 engine mounts as the still bolt to the new windsor ,