Oscar of Markoz

TF Cortina Project

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ..."

Finally finished full welding the turbo manifold. I made it harder for myself (rookie mistake) because I didn't allow that much pipe coming off the header flange plate. So getting the tig into the back of it was really tight. I ended up having to buy a long thin alumina cup and that got the job done.

For added security and to smooth off the outlet I welded the header flange to pipe edge from the inside of the pipes also as the pipes were just alittle smaller than the header plate port sizes.

I smoothed all the welds off and it should look the goods in heat coating once I'm all done.

turbomanifold12.jpg
turbomanifold21.jpg
turbomanifold31.jpg

The lack of updates is of course due to me being flat out with Tough Garage jobs now. But its good when I find a spare moment here and there to work on my own car.

Next up, pressure test the intake manifold, make the throttle body elbow, mod the new fuel rail, make the dump pipe and external wastegate outlets. Should be fun.

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ..."

Managed to finish modding the fuel rail. Cut off the old feed and return pipes and blocked them off with very small peices I cut out and tigged on.
Cut the 2 ends off and welded on some weld on male bungs. Turned out really good. Will probably re-tig weld the slight sink back that the weld left behind and regrind it to make it look smooth and factory.
Another peice to the puzzle.

fuelrail1.jpg
fuelrail2.jpg
fuelrail3.jpg

Next up, finish the throttle body elbow.

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ...."

Made a Throttle Body Elbow. Bought some cast alloy elbow at the closest size I could get to the throttle body. Then bought some 10mm alloy plate. Designed some templates out of cardboard to great the flanges. Took quite a bit of work to shape these. Between hole-sawing the centre holes and cuting it out and filing them to shape. Then Drilling and taping threads to suit some grub screws which I then cut down as they were too long.
Once the flanges were made, I had to make a small cut on the elbow peice and tigged the lot together. Then filled smooth the welds to give it that factory cast look. Needs alittle filler welding here and there but otherwise its done. I'll also weld the inside lips and burr them smooth to give a smooth transition for the air.

TBE1.jpg
TBE2.jpg
TBE3.jpg
TBE4.jpg
TBE5.jpg

Next up, I'll either mod the Throttle body and have it ready to go with all its fittings etc or make a start on the Dump Pipe.

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ...."

I bought a CX Racing intercooler a while back and I was at the stage where I could install it. 
I had to cut some metal away from the support braces for the radiator support so that the cooler ends would clear as well as the silicone hoses. 
I made some pedestal brackets to mount the bottom bolt bungs into, so that it sits in place the same as a radiator would. 
I used some 1" grommets so that theres no metal on metal on the pedestals. For the top I bend up some 4mm alloy into Z shapes and used some rivnuts to secure them to the bottom of the radiator support. Its solid as a rock and works a treat. 

intercooler1.jpg
intercooler2.jpg
intercooler3.jpg
intercooler4.jpg
intercooler5.jpg

Next up, The dump pipe and wastegate pipes.