Server maintenance Read more... ×
Oscar of Markoz

TF Cortina Project

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ...."

Bought some 3.5" mild steel exhaust pipe and a 90 mandrel bend. The bend wasn't tight enough for what I needed so had to make it all in pie cuts. Tig welded the lot and it turned out pretty good. Smoothed the welds off.

Got some smaller 90 bends for the wastegate pipes out of the turbo manifold and into the dump pipe. The Tial Wastegate came with the V Band clamps which was good. Worked out where to position it and welded the pipes in. 

I'm gonna make a screamer pipe for it later so I can block off the dump pipe outlet and turn the wastegate and the screamer pipe will run down the side and into the trench I made before.

dumppipe1.jpg
dumppipe2.jpg
dumppipe3.jpg
dumppipe4.jpg
dumppipe5.jpg
wastegatepipe1.jpg
wastegatepipe2.jpg

Next up, mount the radiator.

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ..."

Did some modifying of the Throttle Body. It had these 2 pipes coming out of it which were for vacuum signal and sucking engine fumes from the rocker cover to the throttle body. 
I deleted them and also needed to fatten up the inlet area as the silicone hose reducer was alittle loose for my liking. Plus the T-bolt clamp was wider than the standard lip area of the throttle body.
I ended up buying a small peice of 2mm thick alloy tube, sliced it in half cause the diameter was too small. Added 2 small filler peices and welded it onto the throttle body. 
I added a bead of weld to the end of it so it stops the chances of the hose coming off 
under boost. 

TB1.jpg
TB2.jpg
TB3.jpg
TB4.jpg

Next up, cooler piping and mounting the radiator

"On this episode of Australian Cortina ...."

Bought a new alloy radiator, its a VR VS Commodore unit. Just removed the brackets and plates for the standard commodore thermos. Welded on some brackets to mount it up onto the end tanks.

Also cut out the standard cortina radiator mounting area at the bottom towards the front apron lip and made a new one which sits the new radiator further down. Made some pedestal mounts for the radiator dowels and it works like a champ.

Here is a video showing the whole process

radiatormount1.jpg
radiatormount2.jpg
radiatormount3.jpg
radiatormount4.jpg
radiatormount5.jpg

neat as usual..

I thought you might have done a top cover for radiator and incorporated mounts similar to X series into it, (like a claw over the top)
have you got Leo practicing welding? he might be able to fully weld the panel for you soon

The cortina top mounts (standard) are like that also. They are welded to the top of the radiator and then claw over and get bolted down. I didn't want any mounts to be seen in that radiator support area at all so I went with the different route.

Leo sadly is flat chat with school, even filming he was only able to help me for a small while. I will get him back in there soon though. He has a model car build of his own that he'll be doing soon.

HI Is the cortina finished if so ho does It go ,me and my son want to do an FG Barra conversion with a T5 in a 75 TD 6cyl cortina have any advice

BuB

HI Is the cortina finished if so ho does It go ,me and my son want to do an FG Barra conversion with a T5 in a 75 TD 6cyl cortina have any advice
BuB
It's a very tight squeeze, need to delete heater box, modify sump (at least on TE/TF), but an FG sump would be closer to the right shape. Use a thin radiator or mount it in front of the support, exhaust is tight, rear upper and lower control arm brackets will need strengthening (they tear out), engine mounts will need adapting (I used V12 jag mounts on my 250, never broke again). If running auto, not sure about trans tunnel. If running manual, an E-series bell and box will line up with the gearbox mount, but a T5 extension housing and shift rail from a Chev S10 truck will be close to where the shifter needs to come through the floor. A Falcon one will be off by 6" backwards.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

On 28/03/2018 at 2:25 AM, BuB said:

BuB

I have a te xflow turbo. Pretty basic efi set up and its more than capable on the street. 

"On todays episode of Australian Cortina ...."

I bought a set of EL Falcon thermofans and after much trimming and cutting of the shroud, along with some plastic welding of spare plastic to create a new shape on the sides, it now fits.

thermofans1.jpg
thermofans2.jpg
thermofans3.jpg
thermofans4.jpg
thermofans5.jpg

Next up, alternator and electric water pump