Server maintenance Read more... ×
scottly

Handbrake cable i.d ford Xd ute

Hey guys, I'm chasing up a handbrake cable for my Xd ute I'm not sure if this is the factory one or from another model. does any one know what this green colored cable came off factory and can you get these new?

5CF9E2B1-D9FA-41CA-8588-33EE4BB57979_zps

thats a disc brake one, not sure if XDs etc ever came with disc rear in a ute.

if you have discs, you may find a ZJ fairlane cable works.

last i got a quote for having a custom cable made up, it was only about $150odd anyway.. ring a brake mob for a quote like ABS etc

what's wrong with that one anyway?

often the front one is the cable that causes grief. the one that attaches to the handle itself and goes under the car

thanks for the reply mate my Xd has a 9 inch disc brake diff my factory cable was damaged and the cable in the pic has frayed sections on it but that's the type I'm after.

I know any V8 option on XEs required mandatory LSD and disc brakes. XD may well be the same.

Wagons/Fairlanes/LTDs share the same wheelbase as utes so I should think that the cables are the same also. I used an XG ute cable on my XE wags when converting to disc. Fitted like a finger in a bum.

I am pretty sure I have a hand brake cable from a 1982 Fairlane in my shed. Will check its condition tomorrow. You are welcome to it if you want to pay for postage.

1982 is Zk fairlane,coil rear may be different where the cable outers mount.

Depends if it was from coil or leaf sprung axle. Possibly calliper position is different from one to the other. Not 100% on that one... Someone confirm?

i cant remember either, thats why i said ZJ(leaf spring)

then again, with 9" diff in, maybe the mounting will still be different depending on calipers.

I know when I had both a coil and a leaf spring diff side by side, one had the caliper mount flange 90 deg to the other, meaning the calliper also mounts differently by that much.

I was a leaf spring fairlane as I now have that diff under my XD. Didn't use the cable as it is to long for a normal sedan.  Couldn't remember exactly what year it was but definitely leaf spring.

Hey guys, I'm chasing up a handbrake cable for my Xd ute I'm not sure if this is the factory one or from another model. does any one know what this green colored cable came off factory and can you get these new?

5CF9E2B1-D9FA-41CA-8588-33EE4BB57979_zps

What diff and calpers is it you have as i may have a new one in the shed would have to look