Lord_fahrquhar

astra power steering pumps fluid type

hi guys

as you know i have an astra pump in my ute, and have been running atf 3 in it. Have found that the thermal expansion of atf causes the pump to get noisy when warm.

pentrite do ldas fluid which is the correct type for these pumps. Fluid doesnt expand as much when warm either.

mind you atf will do in a pinch but if it gets noisy, then this will solve it.

David

hi guys

as you know i have an astra pump in my ute, and have been running atf 3 in it. Have found that the thermal expansion of atf causes the pump to get noisy when warm.

pentrite do ldas fluid which is the correct type for these pumps. Fluid doesnt expand as much when warm either.

mind you atf will do in a pinch but if it gets noisy, then this will solve it.

David

I dunno how i missed this thread! 

thanks for the info

im using dex3 .. as i diddnt want to fuck the steering box (because its harder and more annoying to replace

ill switch over to the Penrite proper oil for the pump, although i have genuine holden oil here i got for 30$ for 1 litre from ebay (that price was delivered) that should be the same as the penrite?

yes indeed.

ive gotta relocate the pump.. as im doing the battery to the boot and the pumps going where the battery was

ill redo the oil when i move it and see how it goes

You guys still running that LDAS Fluid? Hows the power steering box holding up?

my car has original bushes in it , they are all hardened to shit and worn out now.. and i havnt done many kms in the car either since the electric pump conversion. but it pretty much drives the same.. it doesnt like full lock to lock fishys in the gravel though.. although it still works fine. i need to rebush the whole car basically

but as far as i know doing maybe 2000ks with dex3 in it diddnt hurt it. it doesnt leak ect

Mines the same if you twirl too quick you can loose assurance but this is only in parking type scenarios.

Mine has a reco box has been running fine

Have you been running dex3 in it the whole time now? 

I have 245 45 r17s on the front and they are grippy . the pump is pretty noisy all the time im not sure if the genuine oil will make it quieter, but im gonna try that . It doesnt like me dry steering or reefing on the steering wheel while on sealed roads eg doing loops in a closed off road where the appropriate permits have been acquired  <_< it labors the pump

Where do you buy the LDAS ? Ive found a few places that vary fuckim heaps in price lol. Ill prolly ebay it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah I've got the bottom one as well, running dx3. Got the car driving on Monday and took it for a few laps.

Drives fine, steering is a lot heavier but it has good authority. I need to spend some more time behind wheel to see if the "feel" is better from a performance aspect.

I hooked it to the ign power (not the fuel pump power) through a 3 position single pole (SPDT) rocker switch so i can have it on, off and auto (on with ign) so i can spin it up if i want to move the car with the engine off, i can turn it off with the eng running so im not drawing power if im tuning or doing some other maintenance. Or it spins up as soon as the ign is on, because it takes a while to build pressure this makes the startup lag less noticeable compared to if it was connected to fuel pump power.