Server maintenance Read more... ×

Ok guys i was gonna put a toplaoder in my xe but now have decided to go a t5 for a smoother ride etc what model fords in t5 can i put in the xe and can i use the same crossmember that is auto is there a difference and what nneds to be done with bellhousing etc, can  i use the 6cyl tailshaft or better to buy a new one to suit,m i'd love a 9inch diff what eould be involved to puit this in sorry if this is question after question i'm new school

So t5 anything from an xf on will work although eb on ate the better ones.

Use a single rail bell housing (top loader is the same) you need to drill a couple of holes and machine a few mm off the nose of the gearbox and your away.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with a 9 inch these days, they are worth a fortune to have one made to fit a watts link arse end. Loads of guys use borg warners nowadays in some tuff cars too, and you'll break loads of t5's before you break a 28spline borgy. Go a 3.45lsd out of an ed xr8 and it will basically bolt straight in and will stand up to the toughest clevo.

Hi Jamie you can buy the bell housing from dellow (google them) they make custom bell housings for all applications.

best choise in box would be from an el as the tailshaft will also fit if you use an e series diff ( best choice is an eb ed xr6-8 diff with 28 spline axles and 4 pin lsd because there strong and the hand brake setup is the same as xe) you also need a 5speed cross member from an xf and a hydrolic pedal box set up.

good luck man im doing the same conversion to my car.

Hi Jamie you can buy the bell housing from dellow (google them) they make custom bell housings for all applications.

best choise in box would be from an el as the tailshaft will also fit if you use an e series diff ( best choice is an eb ed xr6-8 diff with 28 spline axles and 4 pin lsd because there strong and the hand brake setup is the same as xe) you also need a 5speed cross member from an xf and a hydrolic pedal box set up.

good luck man im doing the same conversion to my car.

Yep i'm buying the rare spares clutch kit for the xuto box with longer pin alot easier and quick fix then a whole new box etc

Sorry to kinda of steal the thread but I need to replace the T5 in my car (XF T5) and I'm wondering what later model gear boxes I can use with the current bellhousing and cross member.

Any T5 between XF and EL will bolt straight up from what I've been told. 

As said earlier in this thread, EB onwards are better if you can get one.

Any T5 between XF and EL will bolt straight up from what I've been told. 

As said earlier in this thread, EB onwards are better if you can get one.

Thanks for that, will look into something like an XR6 box or something.

hey get your own thread LOL :P i got my diff guys but still chasing a good t5

Stealing yours is easier than making one ;)

whatever satan don't buy shit cheap crap the stuff i seen at afew wreckers only good for scrap mechants

Yeah, thought as much. Kind of hard to know if a box is good until it's in your car though.

Tko with a 26mm spacer on a top loader bellhousing will use a standard length auto tailshaft, slight modification to the gearbox mount shifter comes out the stock hole

cheers i'll check now I pulled it down enough looks like it's been recently rebuilt if so for $300 is a bargain gear changes are smooth