Sign in to follow this  
unfamilia

brake booster with high lift cam

Maybe not specifically Ford orientated but what do you do with a brake booster when you install a high lift cam.

Due to the decrease in the manifold vac pressures I've read you get poor low speed brake assistance.

Options I've read or been told are :

Gut the booster and block the line just run unassisted.

get a 12v vac pump

Get a vac canister and t it in line for added capacity.

I'd consider the 2nd option possibly or first as I've driven un brake boosted cars a lot of my life. They aren't bad if under 1000kg.

Gut the booster and block the line just run unassisted.

lol maybe if you changed the master cylinder? otherwise it would be terrible.. 

id just get a combo of option 2 and 3 and you should be sweet 

Duration not lift causes vac issues.I run 686 lift 286 @50th and with the hose still conected I have a soft pedal. The webers how ever have no vac port and I have a ED falcon cruise control pump and vac can for booster assistance but TBH its not needed as you get use to the stiff pedal in no time.

Where do I find them cheap thom? Haven't seen one before.

80's Japanese diesel 4wheel drives (nissans/some toyotas) are a few cars I've seen them in, also late model commodores have an electronic vacuum pump that's quiet, but they may be pricey if you were to buy one new

So what's your set up sly?

You just disconnect hose?

When I run the webers I just brake with out the pump pretty much but I have a comp cams reservoir tank under the dash and the pump sits behind the left front guard. When I want power brakes I turn the pump on...soft pedal.

With the 4 barrel I just hooked the hose up to the vac port on the back of the carb...power brakes,soft pedal. Oh roller cams prob help there though...my bad just thought of that :(  

The booster just improves pedal effort and not performance.  it means you will need to push the pedal further to get the same result - unboosted.

I fitted a 12v vac pump and reservoir to my speedway car because I very rarely used the brakes - but when I did I needed them - LIKE NOW.  It worked very very well.

I am working with the engineer on the Honda VTEC powered mini project and he is a big fan of no booster at all on his cars.  He loves street sprint style events and drives his race car on the road - full rego.  Provided the master cylinder size and caliper piston sizes fall within specs he says no booster is required and encourages running without them  - WHY?  More pedal feel.  Yes you have more travel, but you gain more feel. 

It all comes down to what you are happy with feel wise.  If you want a short sharp pedal - you can't beat the vac pump and reservoir.  I just used the Summit kit - when the $$ was good. 

So for an oil feed would I just t into the oil pressure sender? Obvious choice

For the return is it just a line with a Bung into the sump? Above or below oil line as it includes air from the pump.

I'm thinking booster less may be easier