clevocortina

Melling hv pump.

If you are looking to give it some RPM, make sure you have enough oil pressure for 10psi per 1000 rpm.  That is if you want to rev to 7000, you will need 70psi and so on. 

So my crossy's good for 8000rpm then, time for a bigger camshaft :lol:

I'll be turning it to 7500.... Not sure I'll see 75 psi with a std pump and loose clearances??

My crossflow has an Ando built factory pump with decent clearances in the engine and when we primed the oil pump it was at 80psi. Ando will remember what the clearances where on my engine no doubt

Yes Ryan. I built abit extra into your pump because you are a blacksmith with really bid hands. So I know what you will do to that poor little x flow. It's just what I do.

Yes Ryan. I built abit extra into your pump because you are a blacksmith with really bid hands. So I know what you will do to that poor little x flow. It's just what I do.

So are you saying this is representative of the way I work?

1506516_1044506548917515_830771852452383

So I'm about to place a order for the mellings select std vol pump.....good decision ?

Going off what Ando said it should be ok, but I gather they can be improved to work better. Might be worth your while contacting Ando to see what one of his pumps are worth, then you know you will have one built to what you need. Always better to get something that suits what you need rather than a generic aftermarket item that might cover what you need

Just had a look on them on the mellings site and they seem to be a good thing.  I like the adjustable relief function.  The literature on the site is a bit confusing as it says its std. volume and then it goes on at the bottom to contradict it a bit.  I'd be making sure it is std volume pump before I placed the order. 

It would seem as they are and they have a few good features over a std style pump. 

He is a very big boy and whilst I am not small - his size scares me so I wanted his pump to work extra well.

Bout the only bear attack you will get from me is a bear hug when my engine fires, promise I won't break your ribs..... well maybe. How bout, I will try my best not to cause any damage when I give you a bear hug when my engine fires :P

I am not takin sides or forcing a debate, but I think PRO250 did ask two good questions in "what is the difference in flow-rate" and "what is the difference in torque required to drive them"? That info or info similar must be out there?

It is good to see people thinking about something important, that is not given enough attention.

Ando built pumps may start getting real popular here.

They have become very popular Matt, not just on here. It is good that people are thinking about their oiling systems. Getting it wrong has serious consequences.

I don't have any tool to measure the torque difference other then my bare hands. I can run one of my pumps up on the test bench with one hand on the drill with my modified std volume pumps. No chance doing the same with a high volume pump. It really is that bad.

Flow rate (free flow) has been calculated roughly with ryno's test. Of course in an engine there are a few variables such as engine bearing clearance and lifter type that dictate the amount of leakage and therefor the flow rate of the pump, not to mention the relief setting. There is a lot in it.

I don't have any tool to measure the torque difference other then my bare hands. I can run one of my pumps up on the test bench with one hand on the drill with my modified std volume pumps. No chance doing the same with a high volume pump. It really is that bad.

Yeah I found the same thing although I had to use my bear hands instead.