Sign in to follow this  
Grimmy

Bw diff ratchet ?

My open centre bw diff makes ratcheting and clunking noises wen I go around a corner with drive engaged ( its quiet wen rolling / in neutral )

Obviously it's cactus and I need a new one , I'm just curious on wats causing it and if anyone can explain it ?

When rolling in neutral it has no load on it but when in gear under power the sun gears are what forces the centre to turn.Id say you have smashed a tooth or two on them.Perhaps checking to see if a simple replacement with a mini spool is on the cards.You can pull the centre out with home tools and pull it apart to install the spool...just a option and cheaper than a new diff. 

Hang on so it still goe's?That would be more like backlash on the crown wheel and pinion.Need to get em lapped and re-set in that case which means another diff is WAY cheaper.Get a E series sedan diff (ED forward is the go) for it's 4 pinion centre and 28 spline axles in most of em.

Its as tho the axels are locked together , coz when I turn the inside wheel chirps then clunk , and so on . It wouldn't be possible the sun gears are seized on the pinion and the clunk is it jumping teeth ?

I've got a el diff ready to swap in , just waiting for this one to break

Yep sun gears could be jammed up in the centre causing drive to go to both axles.Either way big rpm's and dropped clutches always = dead gearboxes and diffs and engine mounts.

Atleast you accept that by having a diff ready to drop in.

lol diff is fuuuarked.

spider gears have probably lost a tooth and its jammed in there locking the rear wheels together, ive done 7 or 8 diffs in the xc, including a 9" (broke the crown wheel doing a rollback)

you guys must be doing sumting wrong,ive never broken a ford diff be it bw or 9inch and man ive done roll backs donuts everything .Slys on the money ,mini spool the diff