Server maintenance Read more... ×

Hi guys,

How can I find out what diff is in my XW, 8inch or 8 3/4inch. Also wanting to know is can you get a lsd for the standard xw diffs? Im not worried about gear ratios my xw is only going to be a crusier.

Cheers...

Hi guys,

How can I find out what diff is in my XW, 8inch or 8 3/4inch.

Those are american car sizes. As Ants said it's either a 9 inch or a 075 borg warner diff. Yes either of these diffs can have lockers, lsd and spools but 9 inch has a lot more stuff available. I'm also pretty sure that the xw will have a narrower diff than later models like xd-xf which has the same model diff. best bet is to take a picture of the centre of the diff from the rear as we can tell what it is then and go from there.

Sounds good to me, ill have a look tonight. My car wont be a big horse machine and wont cop a lot of abuse but i don't want to spin one-leggers. Could it be cheaper and wiser to just get a 9 inch?

Centre options for a borg warner are very limited and the standard lsd can wear out quite quick if you don't have a bit of mechanical sympathy. But 9 inch cost a lot to buy and will add a lot of weight to the car, if you aren't pushing big power or have specific requires then a borg warner will be fine.

Thanks wagoon more then helpful. So will I just have to put up with it spinning one-leggers?

No not at all once you throw up a pic then will know what you have and go from there. As before 9 inch as lots and lots of options and is about the same cost to rebuild as a borg warner in the end if your building it stronger. The borg warner is plentiful to buy so is much cheaper and depending on the use you can go a couple of different ways, it really does come down to where and how your going to use the car.

For example the borg warner has these options:

Spool- whether mini or full is illegal on the road and can be quite dangerous if you are not careful and like to drive with the throttle through the firewall all the time. Spools put more load on axles when turning compared top other centres so if it's a street car care must be taken and in the end it make just break cause they don't like carparks and slow speed turns.

Factory lsd- as mentioned before if you like spinning the wheel everywhere and sliding sideways the standard lsd will wear out pretty quick. I have know people to get less than 2 weeks out of a rebuilt standard lsd, others can get 4 years and counting out of the exact same thing. It really is up to how you drive

Mechanical locker- for a borg warner Lokka is the brand and you can search google, youtube etc on those. Again limitations need to be realised and you have to be willing to put up with possibly a bit of noise from the rear end. The device can change the characteristics of how the car handles but again it really comes down to what and how your going to use the car

plate clutch LSD- for the borg warner this is a KAAZ lsd which will last a lot longer than the factory lsd but will still require servicing and looking after. They can be setup to your requirement but regardless of the cost and what is said these lsd's do wear out. Once again how long it lasts comes down to how you use it.

There is a pretty common theme running through all the above choices, and it is really no different to any other area of the car you looking to improve. It all comes down to your expectation and use of the car, and only you know exactly what your wanting.

I run a borg warner in the wagon with brand new genuine gears and a rebuilt lsd,i drive it with 0 sympathy (hence the million broken autos) and have never had a problem.

Don't forget all the xr6t's,fpv's and hsv's all run borg warners stock.

No need for a 9inch these days unless your going for burnout master at the nats or planning on running 8s.

Sorry for all the question. Where would I find a factory lsd, any later model falcon diff centre the same and how much would I expect to pay for one already rebuilt or needs to be rebuilt?

the diff i had in the xw wagon before the 9" was a xy diff with a xf LSD center, that cost me $700 nz dollars, that was to to fit the LSD into the diff with new bearings throughout and new cones. 

dont bother with 9 inch unless your planing on running sub 12 quarter miles with fat grippy slicks. or you are the A Current Affair Burn Out King!.

ive been running the stock lsd's for years , even go to archer field burn out comps with them , they do last just dont expect frying and dropping a clutch on a set of 255's will have it last more then 6 months.

diff in my old nc fairlane copped a really hard flogging good old borgy with 3.55 gears 16 months of peak reving and neutral to 1st bangs only killed the diff due to slaping a gutter and smashing the bottom of the housing and oil draine dout then i drove it for like 2 months with 0 oil lol

corty gets pretty much same treatment guts flogged out of it still useing a 28 spline borgy with a mini spool over 5 years old this diff and no troubles besides a bit of play back and forth from the centre its self to the pinnion gear.

all i do is keep them clean and fresh oil and they last , if it blows up at the end of the day ... 0 shits given unless i smash the housing , i just keep buying 2nd hand centres and axles pick them up pretty cheap , does not happen often enough for me to warrant the cost of buying a 9 inch.

if you start blowing them every 2 months ..... there is deff's something wrong with the way your driving . also 9 inch diff's are way over rated .....unbreakable i think not ..... blown my fair share of them.

always remember to have your car rolling forwards slightly and drivetrain preloaded before droping a set , its the initial shock to the drive train system that starts breaking shit < took me a few years to work this out lol broken engine mounts every week , gear box's every month , diffs every other month , glad ACA never gave a crap about hoons when i was 17 18 i would of been on that every week lol

dont bother with 9 inch unless your planing on running sub 12 quarter miles with fat grippy slicks. or you are the A Current Affair Burn Out King!.

ive been running the stock lsd's for years , even go to archer field burn out comps with them , they do last just dont expect frying and dropping a clutch on a set of 255's will have it last more then 6 months.

diff in my old nc fairlane copped a really hard flogging good old borgy with 3.55 gears 16 months of peak reving and neutral to 1st bangs only killed the diff due to slaping a gutter and smashing the bottom of the housing and oil draine dout then i drove it for like 2 months with 0 oil lol

corty gets pretty much same treatment guts flogged out of it still useing a 28 spline borgy with a mini spool over 5 years old this diff and no troubles besides a bit of play back and forth from the centre its self to the pinnion gear.

all i do is keep them clean and fresh oil and they last , if it blows up at the end of the day ... 0 shits given unless i smash the housing , i just keep buying 2nd hand centres and axles pick them up pretty cheap , does not happen often enough for me to warrant the cost of buying a 9 inch.

if you start blowing them every 2 months ..... there is deff's something wrong with the way your driving . also 9 inch diff's are way over rated .....unbreakable i think not ..... blown my fair share of them.

always remember to have your car rolling forwards slightly and drivetrain preloaded before droping a set , its the initial shock to the drive train system that starts breaking shit < took me a few years to work this out lol broken engine mounts every week , gear box's every month , diffs every other month , glad ACA never gave a crap about hoons when i was 17 18 i would of been on that every week lol

My xw is only going to be a cruiser probably drive it twice a week. It will run a 302w with just the basic mods and a c4 auto. I won't be flogging it just a little skid once in a blue moon. Are factory lsd's easy to come by can I get them out of a later model falcon?

pretty sure xw came out with he 2 series housing (bw75 off memorie) so you can only fit up to 2.97's ratio in the housing if you try put 3.08 gears in the crown wheel with hit the back case, if you can find a 3 series borgy witch is a BW78 this will fit 3.23's and above ratio centers they are allot easier to come by  i was even running a set of 4.11's out of a pintara < (btw cheapest set of 4.11's you will ever find ) if you do change the ratio's just make sure you set the clearances correctly or it will blow with in 2 to 3 months 

i have also used 3.89's out of skyline's btw these are better then the pintara center as they are a 28 spline 4 pinion center
also the skyline r31's have 2 ratio's manual is a 3.70 auto is 3.89's

ford XD to AU also use 28 spline 4 pinion centers 

LSD Rebuild be looking at around $400 to $500 for , LSD hemisphere machining , shimming and labour maybe a lil extra if you also needed bearings < only generally need this if the center is flogged out.

not sure what would bolt straight into a xw mate , XD might be close being its also a leaf spring rear end axle length may also be different as well as the mount points

Got an XE wagon borg warner diff under my xy. Looks like it was made to go there. Everything lines up and bolted straight in.

As for ratios, my xw had a 3.23 gear set from the factory. That was a 3 speed column shift version. If your was auto from the factory,

you should have a 2.77 or 2.92 depending on which engine it was fitted with. My XY came with 2.92 standard, but it had a 302 windsor motor standard.

Falcon after EB series 2 got 4 pinion centre with solid disc brake and 28 spline like the turbo VL. Before that all diffs are 2 pinion centre 25 spline axle and have either drum brake or vented disc rotors. AU diff is wider as they changed wheel offset, just dont know about widths before AU. But as Jiminy said he's using one so cant go past someone who has done it.

Plenty of gearsets are available like smoke said as there were quite a few cars that came out with borg warner. But diffs themselves are no use as all wrong.

Got an XE wagon borg warner diff under my xy. Looks like it was made to go there. Everything lines up and bolted straight in.

As for ratios, my xw had a 3.23 gear set from the factory. That was a 3 speed column shift version. If your was auto from the factory,

you should have a 2.77 or 2.92 depending on which engine it was fitted with. My XY came with 2.92 standard, but it had a 302 windsor motor standard.

My xw is a factory column shift auto and 302w. Thanks guys you all been so much help just got to track down a diff somewhere.

can I had this to the table, if you did use a diff from a xe-f ute  etc  that I think are the same width as xa-c?? you could run some au-on rims.  I went the other way in my xa, put a xy diff in it which moved the wheels in one inch per side. as the spring mounts are on the same centre.  but if I was you I would fit a   xf centre like I did. 

can I had this to the table, if you did use a diff from a xe-f ute etc that I think are the same width as xa-c?? you could run some au-on rims. I went the other way in my xa, put a xy diff in it which moved the wheels in one inch per side. as the spring mounts are on the same centre. but if I was you I would fit a xf centre like I did.

So if I just got a xf diff centre will sweet, bolt straight in?

was hoping someone else would answer this question.  but I know I sent a xf lsd centre plus my xy diff to the shop and what I got back was a xy lsd diff. so I think the answer is YES.