Server maintenance Read more... ×
xwroo

Ram type power steering swap

Hi guys very new to this forum, finding it hard on other forums to find answer and I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

I've got a xw falcon with a ram type power steering setup and I've heard of people replacing them with a later power steering box out of a xa-xf I think. Just trying to find out if that's true and what I have to have to do the swap any advice will help!

Cheers

All good mate. I only have heard people talking about xa-xf power steering boxes going, I've just never talk to anyone who as done it.

The problem is the chassis needs modifing.

The box fouls on the chassis rail and the lower of the 3 holes that bolt it to the chassis rail dosent line up, its about a half a hole out.

You can massage the chassis with a hammer so the box will sit flush, it takes a hard hit to smack it in enough to do this but it can't be seen when the box is in place.

The bolt hole thats about half a hole out needs to have chassis cut and welded to change the position of it.

I have seen a box where the guy used the original hole in the chassis and modified the steering box, basically redrilling the hole and put a nut and bolt through it instead of the bolt screwing into the housing.

Thanks for that winton!!! Its all good im a panel beater so if bit and pieces need a cut, weld or smack its no biggie. Might be a stupid question but will the new steering box run off the old power steering pump and would I have to get new hoses made up?

My oldman had a similar problem with his '62 compact.

Instead of butchering his chassis rail, he filled, drilled & tapped his steering box to allign to the chassis.

He then got a tool maker to " burn a spline " into the compact pitman arm to match his XD steering box.

The oldman is an engineer, so this is pretty straight forward for him.

Hope this helps.

Cheers stu.

Yeah your pump (c1) should be fine. Its basically the same pump that was used on the latter v8s with the plastic housing (c2 )but the high pressure line won't work. I think the c1 pump was still used in the xa xb so if you can find a high pressure line from one of them it could work, or you will have to get a line modified or made.

Another thing I should of said was I'm not sure what the law says about cutting and welding chassis's, it may need an engineer certificate.

Something you should look into. The last thing you want is to fit the ps box and the car gets defect for modifing to the chassis.

gregaust I try that link and its not letting me read I have signed up to the forum still nothing i'll have another try later.