Trev Vaa

How to properly crimp a connection

Found this on youtube today, i see a lot of people crimping incorrectly at work, so i thought for anyone doing their own work at home, might be an idea :)

Simple and informative, and the basic rules go for all crimping.

ALWAYS crimp the copper first and the sheathing second.

Thats how ive always done them. I also like to put a small amount of solder on the copper end as well for extra electrical connectivity. Not really required on inside connections but under bonnet it gives me piece of mind.

I've got Blue Point (Snap-on) crimpers/strippers and to be honest they are shit. The stripper part is on the outside and the crimp is in the inside, which is arse-about. I have good old Utilux ones at work and they are 1,000,000 times better, and have all the bits in the right place and probably cost 1/3 the price.

personally i'm not a fan of solder, connection isn't as good and it tends to make the copper go porus or it cracks over time....

only time i used solder was in my apprenticeship on big switch sets where resistance wasn't an issue.

I agree Gerg, the Snap on ones are sh!t. I've used several different sorts, and i always go back to my old set, buggered if i can remember the brand, but they're not ass about, and they're not thin, flimsy bloody things that you spend more time swearing at, than actually using, like the Narva one's i've got, or them bloody Mech-pro ones Repco try flogging off. Useless.

ALWAYS Solder EVERYTHING !

AND THEN HEATSHRINK FFS

is another good tip. 

guess you have no idea how sensitive the sensors in new cars are.... you solder them, you get error codes galore.

guess you have no idea how sensitive the sensors in new cars are.... you solder them, you get error codes galore.

1974 is new enough for me lol

do you mean soldering the connections AT the sensor ? 

if you solder a spade terminal onto a wire and then plug it into something , should be fine ?? 

The haltech dude needs to get with the times LOL!

My pro'sKit crimp tool, has selectable dies.

It crimps both parts of those things in one go.

Productivity FTW! :P

My nesco crimper, does phone plugs, RJ45 data plugs, F-connector aerial sockets, and everything in between.

and I have one of those rotatable dies crimping tools, for 10mm to 240mm cable -

The ones which stand about knee height.

Thanks for sharing that, hopefully my shitty crimping skills will get better  :D

I have heard that crimping is better than soldering, but if I am merely joining 2 wires together, I tend to twist them together then solder. Crimps generally look neater IMO.