tyko86

MSD AND TFI

really depends on the application. Both fit in any crossflow block without issue.  They can be made to fit pre-crossflow with a bit of time on the lathe.

If you don't have an ignition box (MSD or similar) you will be stuck with running the xe style dizzy or XF and EST box if your car came with one.

If you have an MSD then there is no better choice than the EST or TFI dizzy to trigger the MSD.  Forget all the crap about the EST dizzy having phasing issues, as it is just crap. Proof - just sent one down to a customer in Toowoomba.  Fitted it to his tough crossflow and it went 271.6 at the tyres. No phasing needed.

The ultimate triggering device is the MSD crank trigger as used by Wazzy, Ken Moss and few others.  But really they are not needed for anything other than all out, balls to the walls engines, where you are chasing every last HP and are giving them a solid rev.

ok because i have the chance of getting 2 xf dizzy's ,very cheap i have seen em they look very good,i also have the stock dizzy in my xe carby,but with a build in mine soon should i grab these 2 other grey late dizzy's ? i grabbed everything else during the week i may as well get em ?

The TFI dizzy will run a coil setup in limp home mode (10º locked) without any help from an MSD or ECU. Then just adjust timing by turning the dizzy to get what locked total timing you want.

From memory the dwell is current controlled so you will still get a strong spark from any suitable high energy coil. The Bosch Mec723a will get comparable spark performance to an MSD box at RPM below 5k(? There is math that can figure this out if you need to know exactly what rpm for whatever reason) due it's high energy (120mj) and long duration, but over a certain RPM the charging period is dropped as a consequence of it been an inductive distributor type ignition. This is where CDI such as MSD is needed.

Yes...^ Makes it easier for you to understand when we are not online to help out.

Easy to set up and easy to diagnose but after you have learnt it. Don't worry I still question my slef and even found a coil that tested to be all but 100% was the main issue for my cars issues even though it tested really really good. Wouldn't have got it if I didn't back my self to try shit people told me not to.      

hey guys, quick question. does anybody know the difference between a 6AL and 6AL-2? is there a huge difference? Might be able to get myself a second hand 6AL off a mate so thought id see if it would do the trick?

Cheers

Not much difference. They are both non programmable. If you are talking 6al2 programmable and 6al - well there are big differences.

The non programmable ignitions will only allow u to run locked timing and in my opinion aren't worth the trouble. I'd just save up for a 6al2 programmable and be done with it.

^^^^^^YES!

Basically for a difference of $200 you get programmable ignition... Try buying an aftermarket ecu for that much.

Granted, the curves aren't very sophisticated as the load and rpm curves are "stacked" on top of each other, instead of a proper 3-D map but they will do 90% of what a full mappable ecu can.

You also get some other handy features like switched programmable rpm cut (for staging, etc) and a switched retard that is also programmable (for soft launches or different fuels, etc).

Drawbacks? Using a dizzy you only have a limited range of timing available, so the MSD has a built-in range of 30 deg max, and 25 on the maps.

The maps themselves have good resolution (more than you'll ever need) but they are 2-D and add to each other (ie they are programmed independently but work in conjunction when running).

Getting the curve right will take about 10 hours of on-road tuning but once locked in, you can forget all about it. Mine's been done for 2 years now and I haven't touched it.

Im ONLY going programmable because Im going to run nitrous on the car,plus a update to crank trigger will see me be able to do individual cyl timing if needed via big Digital 7 programmable.To add my car on the dyno @ Jakes (who just won Summernats Horsepower hero's) made more power with a locked curve than it did on a "tuned" curve. Not all cars need it or want it and you have to add tuning and a lap top and a cord to link em in that budget.

Nothing wrong with locked timing just has to done right like anything else.And TBH many many people still run locked timing on nitrous and just pull 4 degree's of timing per 100hp added and there still fine after many years.

I don't think your assessment of your cars performance on jake's dyno is valid because of the coil issue. I'm yet to tune a car with a programmable ignition that makes more power with locked timing than with a good curve - and I've tuned a few as has cliff.

Yes some run locked timing with nitrous and pull timing but out and survive but some blokes also like blokes - doesn't make it right.

I know you and I will have this discussion/ non agreement till the end of time but I can tell you all engines need programmable ignitions. Anything else is just a compromise. If it were not true, why would we have ecu's with variable timing and fuel curves and the ability to overlay the 2.

Step out of the eighties Rob. You won't look back. Yes engines will run with locked timing BUT they run much better with programmable, especially when you add the map into the equation like gerg has done on his streeter. Really you can't beat that.