tyko86

MSD AND TFI

Hi Guys,

another quick question - I obtained a MSD 6AL-2 PN 6420 old style for $50. I also have a TFI Dizy.

Car is running re-graphed EST at the moment and starts/idles performs reasonably well (28 deg total advance).

If I install TFI with that MSD will I have starting issues as timing will then be locked?

Has camtech ct142-528a plus head work and 600 vac sec aswell as msd blaster coil.

Cheers

Tyson

If your battery is good you will be fine.

Id suggest your old dizzy is a electronic dizzy as a EST curve is programmed in the efi computer from the car it was out of   :)

Haha - yes I would say you are right there Slydog! Still not up with all the crossflow lingo!

Am I right in saying that when locked it will be seeing 28 degrees advance all of the time??

Okay so I have attempted to wire up msd and TFI and start car but no go. Have tested the msd and is creating spark.

I have wired through the module so pin 6 - white wire to msd, pin 3 - red to msd, pin 1 - earth.

I have tried two different modules in case one was no good. Any suggestions?

You could bypass the TFI module - remove it. And wire the MSD direct to the dizzy. I got mine working like that. Though I'm not sure how reliable that method is long term.

I'll have to look up what wire goes where.

White wire pin 4

Or as above mine is module delete as it is NOT needed with that ignition.Worked fine for years with no module so far. Delete module then run middle pin 12v switched,closest pin to white wire from MSD closest to block ground.

Don't differ from this or chase your tail... 

So how did you go with connecting the wires

To terminals after deleting module - can't exactly get a soldering iron in there!

I took the pins 1,3,6 off an old thread that I found

Its above man ^^^ Delete module then run middle pin 12v switched,closest pin to white wire from MSD closest to block ground.

Plus what is on the coil ? ONLY Orange from MSD to + and Black from MSD to coil -

Absolutely NOTHING else can be on the coil or it will not run. 

According to this:

6 = PIP = spark signal

3 = +12v switched from ign

1 = Ground

The rest are left unconnected

Or as Rob said, Ditch the TFI club and wire accordingly. If this diagram is correct then:

Hall effect ground goes to ground.

Hall power is 12V switched ign.

PIP is spark signal to MSD.

Rob, are you still running a resistor to protect the Hall sensor?

So how did you go with connecting the wires

To terminals after deleting module - can't exactly get a soldering iron in there!

I took the pins 1,3,6 off an old thread that I found

If you can find a XF that runs EST at a wreckers, take the black plug on the side of the dizzy, and take the plug and some loom. Wire the MSD wires to the offcuts of the loom. I have the pinouts written somewhere if you go down that road.

I have orange and black to coil but also original tacho wire - would that affect it?

I would say so. Only MSD small black and orange are to be connected to the coil. Connect the factory tach wire to MSD grey wirre.

Can't get it running for the life of me! Must be retarded! I have wired it with and without module and still no spark - msd definitely producing spark as have tested. Looks like sticking with the old dizzy!

Sorry to jump in but will the tfi module just shit itself or give some sort notice before letting go. I broke down tonight and suspect the module as iv got no spark. I gave the car a flogging onto the freeway and it started to miss and cut out up top. Pulled over and it cleared up gave it another flogging and it happened again. Pulled over and turned it off this time, then it would start and stall until no start. First it looked like the secondary float got stuck but I fixed that and still no good.

I've got a street fire msd and coil and I know about removing the module off the tfi but I had wired mine with it ages ago and i never seen a need to change it. The cars at my parents so I can't check it out but I'm pretty sure it's got no spark. I'm gonna remove the dizzy, check the msd and remove the module and see how I goes. The msd and street fire aren't that old so hopefully there ok