Defective

Cortina issues?

I'm going to have a look at cortina wagon tomorrow, been years since I've owned one, what are the issues I need to look for?

Owner has sent me pics of the rust, bottom of guards mainly, and top of a pillar is a bit ugly.

Other than that it apparently only needs an exhaust and the front brakes needs new new bleed nipples.

It's 4.1 manual, looks very stock in the photos I've seen, what's the average price for something like this?

Looks nice I think I have seen this for sale on gumtree/eBay

Ok as for looking for rust check the sills,roof gutters around the front screen and if you can look at the inner guard where the aerial is and the rear quarters. As for value it's really hard to tell as the market is a bit dead but if it's regoed I would say anything from $1000-$5000 but I wouldn't pay much more than a grand unless it is really nice but I'm also a tight ass lol

Cortina for life

oh mate nice wagon :) , mate had a white one with  a worked 6 and man they look tuff on their guts .

not sure what issues wagons have , but i know with my sedan check these spots as i got a few surprise's

roof gutter , wheel arch's all 4 , boot , under front windscreen where the grille is for the wipers . bonnet mounts , inside the doors where the rubber seal's seat. 

check the sill's and chassis rails , < i had to cut a chunk of my rail out on driver side and replate it and cut and shut it ,was not really terrible rust little bit worse then surface rust but would have got bad and being a chassie rail this was best option for the future ( had it inspected after by engineer) , also the driver side sill where is links to rear wheel arch give that a good knocking rust hides in there well .

as said above they range from 1000 to 5000 , i paid 1700 for my sedan and this wagon appears to be in a bit better shape then mine was but in saying that i did pay to much for mine just cause it had a fresh worked motor in it.

1200 is not a bad price if there not much more wrong with it , id say get him down to 900 to 1000 and u got a pretty good deal , 1200 is still reasonable though , i would of thrown 1100 cash at him by now lol

so many cars i would love to have again, a corty is one of them. love the TC/D because they go so well on the road with a 302 in them, TE/TF i love because they are so low and power to weight ratio for the 4.1 manuals is better then the falcons

Nice colour! Needs some blackouts I reckon.

Some more places to look for rust are tops of each front guard near the windscreen, and where the rear lower control arms bolt to the chassis. It rusts out from the inside as it collects dirt between the rail and the bracket.

Top rear control arm bushes flog out in the diff housing, are a press-out/in job. Very similar to Torana or HQ.

Can be made to handle despite being a car the size of a Camry with a truck engine shoved in. Front radius bushes can be nolathaned to sharpen it up. Usual sway bar, springs, shocks will do wonders.

Rear sway bar can be removed if the inside wheel lifts too much.

If you ever change the box, go for a close ratio with a tall first, like an XF efi or 302 box. Light cars with torquey engines are quicker with long gears. You need to keep the corty extension housing and shift rail.

Fuel tank is pissy at only 45 litres. Lucky to get 300 ks from a tank.

13" wheels make it choppy over bumps, so upgrade to Saab or Audi 15" steelies.

They have tiny discs on the front that can be upgraded but the rear drums will probably never need changing as they do fuck-all work.

Clutch cable can fry itself on the exhaust. Get one made about a foot longer and route it away from the heat.

Starter motor solenoid cap can crack from exh manifold heat. Starter problems are common especially with extractors. Use a later Xf one with the solenoid at 9-o-clock instead of 12 and put little ding in the firewall to clear it.

Headlights could do with a relay to boost performance.

TF sedan doors and all windows are different due to the roof being higher. TF wags are the same as TE.

Engine mounts break often from the torque. They're just the round puck-style with studs top and bottom. Shit job to get to the studs. I upgraded to Jag V12 ones (fatter) as I broke 2 lots of the factory ones.

Dashboard jobs are shit, worse than Falcons.

Falcon seats are too wide by about 2", so no go there.

Cortina foorpans have a recess each side for mufflers under the back seat (perfect for v8s). When you do your exhaust, get them to cross it over near the crossmember and use the passenger side recess for the muffler. That way you avoid the stupid dog-leg that runs along the axle from the drivers side to the pass side exit. Also put a little hot dog before the tip instead of a straight pipe. Too droney otherwise.

That's all I got :D

Just bog the rust up for now. The A piller is just lead wiped dig it out and put a plate in it you can do it with the window if its not bad just sit a wet rag next to the window or bog it up for now also

Bit of pressure pack action and shes back on the road

Cortina wagon or just wagon in general doesn't scream "buy me" in any breath TBH.There a very very ugly car without the fast Corty tag.I actually think you made the right call as parts are getting harder to find and the costing is stupid for what they are when there just a form of transport.

As a toy you are prepared to pay for em but as a every day unit no way. 

Nothing wrong with a wagon for a daily, very handy with plenty of space. But I do agree that you cant look at it like a toy, its just a daily and should be treated as such. I am a bit biased though as I dont care about my wagon other than it keeps running and is reliable.

I don't think he did he bought a dunnydore

please rob you want ants dragnwagon you know you do

in the land of Cortina the wagons are started to be wanted. if that was in vic id own it and beacon would be begging me for it :D