Kiwi-E

XE Tidy up

Thanks for that info XTP. I haven't done much homework on the matter as you can see lol. This whole setup is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me.

Yes, the exhaust housing is twin entry. Does that necessary make it twin scroll? Or that it just has a devided inlet?

2981635fc2e3e7b9c4612c2d43e4ff02.jpgab233dbfeffe778c90468f76e974b6d9.jpg76211e58827621c70c92a06556da44f3.jpg99b6f46ffbf72172c5ecdca3f1e81166.jpg

I had a feeling my collector design was probably a bit shit. I wasn't a fan of how the flow from the middel 2 runners has to split between the 2 entrys just after/while it is still merging.

I'm not phased about binning this collector if need be. Albeit that this collector is not ideal,... do you think it would make a noticible difference form the arrangement you mentioned? Keep in mind I'm not chacing the last 1% of performance.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info XTP. I haven't done much homework on the matter as you can see lol. This whole setup is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me.

Yes, the exhaust housing is twin entry. Does that necessary make it twin scroll? Or that it just has a devided inlet?
2981635fc2e3e7b9c4612c2d43e4ff02.jpgab233dbfeffe778c90468f76e974b6d9.jpg76211e58827621c70c92a06556da44f3.jpg99b6f46ffbf72172c5ecdca3f1e81166.jpg

I had a feeling my collector design was probably a bit shit. I wasn't a fan of how the flow from the middel 2 runners has to split between the 2 entrys just after/while it is still merging.

I'm not phased about binning this collector if need be. Albeit that this collector is not ideal,... do you think it would make a noticible difference form the arrangement you mentioned? Keep in mind I'm not chacing the last 1% of performance.

Thanks

Twin scroll, twin entry same thing really. I think twin scrolls may be completely divided all the way to the turbine wheel and twin entry could be semi divided. Either way the idea is to alleviate pulse interference to maximise exhaust energy propelling the turbine wheel. Don't be too hard on yourself mate your collector looks good, they're quite a time consuming thing to get right. Your 6:1 is just suited to an open entry turbine thats all. There's significant power to be lost by not getting it right. It's a big effort to go making a merge collector only for it to perform the same or worse than a log manifold. You could just make a split pulse 6:2 log manifold and it would perform fine. If you really want to make an equal length merge collector manifold in split pulse, you can take your same principles from your original and just make 2 x 3:1 merges and then merge them into the 2 ports at the flange. When you merge them use the "wall" from one side to create the divider in the middle and cut the wall off the other side, shape it with heat, a hammer & vice then weld them together. Here a split pulse manifold I made for an rb302837893f3b17b86e4af178cd35b7022f.jpg34f79fbefd06d2f93bc6fc2d20a2a8f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Was that a t3 flange or larger on the rb30 manifold?

Next rainy day we get i might jump on CAD and have a play around and come up with a new collector arrangement.

I haven't put too much time into this collector so its no big deal not using it. As you say, would be a waste to build a runner manifold for it to be only as good or worse as a log manifold.

Thanks for the advice 🖒

Was that a t3 flange or larger on the rb30 manifold? 

Next rainy day we get i might jump on CAD and have a play around and come up with a new collector arrangement.

I haven't put too much time into this collector so its no big deal not using it. As you say, would be a waste to build a runner manifold for it to be only as good or worse as a log manifold.

Thanks for the advice 🖒

That's a split pulse T3 flange.  

Here the 6:1 merge collector I made up for my XP which I will get to one day, this is a T3 open flange.

55c85ba4d8d953b9cb0869aab3014cc1.jpg

Picked up the flanges from the profile cutters. They did a nice tidy job. 046d73bb3fb3e35518dd9e45f390d775.jpg

Then preceeded to put 2 new brake hoses on the xf.... took the whole bloody afternoon.... the caliper was a porous casting and the factory spot facing had exposed the defect on the sealing surface... not sure how it ever sealed.

I ended up machining the surface down a mm or so to clean it up.... all fixed now and no more worries about weaping brakes.

Also decided it was about time the xe had a run.
64dd87e30dbd87620607548127c5dea3.jpg

Oh yeah I just had a close look at that, I missed it in your earlier post. Almost looks like t3 ports with a T4 bolt pattern, weird.
It definitely looks like a truck turbo, it must be a proprietary thing with the odd flange.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk