anthony2277

cat converter

The honeycomb is the cat, the gas passes over it causing a catalytic reaction which is suppose to remove harmful toxins from the gas(hence the term catalytic converter). If you remove the honeycomb you just have an expansion chamber in your exhaust. I don't believe it will "hurt" your engine but if you remove the guts of the cat your car will no longer be legal. Also if you remove the cells it can lead to a black stain appearing on the back of your car. If you want to improve flow you can get a 100 cell cat which will flow improve gas flow and still make the car legal.

wont hurt your engine what so ever , if your car is pre 1986 you dont have to have one , keep in mind though if you have engine swapped , engine that came out from a car newer then 1986 then yes you need to run a catalytic converter ,  
so as example , 1981 cortina like my own you dont need to have one , but XF you would, might get away with not having one on the early built xf's though if they ran on leaded fuel . but i would still have one on a early XF to be safe from defects , just buy a hi flow cat better safe then sorry.

if you hollow out the standard cat it is a defect and they will fine you , also will make your car allot louder as said above it acts a expansion chamber like on a 2 stroke , and if your running a mean enough motor with a big enough carb running rich and you pump the throttle ( EG. like in a burn out letting on and off the gas it will fill up with fuel and A. cause a back fire , B cause a backfire and blow a hole in your muffler.

Lets say hypothetically you do gut it , cut the top side out that's against the floor , remove all  the honeycomb's inside , get some pipe wield it in so it runs straight through  , wield the top side back on and have the wielded side facing your floor so you cant see its been removed , this will stop fuel sitting in the cat and filling it up.

honestly though just buy a high Flow cat mate , 100% legal and half the work .

been there and done it :) 

Guest anthony elsenburg

I have an EF, with a previous car a laser or corolla can't remember which one I took the cat off and smashed out the honeycomb with a metal bar