Server maintenance Read more... ×
Grimmy

4.0L dizzy drive

I'm looking to purchase a xh ute , only problem is that there is a problem with the dizzy drive

Easy fix ?

Or engine swap job

I'm looking to purchase a xh ute , only problem is that there is a problem with the dizzy drive

Easy fix ?

Or engine swap job

It's possible to do while in the car, but it's easier with the engine out, you are better off dropping the sump or pulling the head to get the timing cover off (personally I'd pull the sump so I could check the oil pump and oil pump drive as they could have caused the issue) the shaft itself is easy to change, but do you know what's wrong with it (stripped teeth/broken/flogged out?) And just be aware they don't have any bearings they run in just a machined hole in the block

I'm not 100% sure on what's damaged , but it did cross my mind about what could have caused it .

I've never pulled a 4l apart so it'll be a good learning curve

Iv done two in my xg, both were cheap aftermarket dizzys with the aftermarket gear. Fitted an original ford gear no problems since. Also had a mates do the same thing.to a replacement dizzy 2 weeks in. Easy enough to do in car, just goodluck finding one. Nobody lists the part, so best bet is to go wreckers and pull on out yourself and get the mated dizzy while your there. Cost me $25 for the last one

Easy enough in the car just a bit of a fiddle to get the timing case back on, not too bad though. Bit of a tip, dont drop the bolt from the plate that holds the gear in. Difficult and messy to fish it out of the sump haha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'd replace the dizzy with a bosch one can buy new on ebay. Then just yo be on the safe side replace drive shaft and check oil pump.

Hope she comes up a treat, just remember that to do the timing you need to bridge 2 pins on the test plug under the dash.

Earth pin and test pin.

Jack.