Server maintenance Read more... ×
bear351c

Snowflake rims - Identification.

Reckon these are ZL style, but need to be in silver....??

Snowflake%20ESP%20001.png

Where'd you come across these ones?

They look fairly tidy. :)

Be damned if I can find a decent set of them either.

I'm still looking though.

Be damned if I can find a decent set of them either.

Bit of a silly question but does it have to be a set off 1 car or could you buy a good pair or even singles then add to them to make a set? Is there a benefit to getting the set off 1 car?

I think it only matters if you're doing a full on resto and want the correct wheels with the correct month/year stamped on them that go with that model car.grabbing singles from different models is fine imo. My snowflakes were all built in different years.

I think it only matters if you're doing a full on resto and want the correct wheels with the correct month/year stamped on them that go with that model car.grabbing singles from different models is fine imo. My snowflakes were all built in different years.

Ok fair enough. Do cars actually have all the same month dated wheels on them though? Would have thought they the wheels would have been pulled from stock and put on a car instead of checking that each set has the same manufacturing date.

Not sure about that but I would think that for example a june 85 build xf ghia would have 6/85 stamped on the wheels. But mine are a mix of xf ghia ea s pac which have different months/years stamped on them which I got from the wreckers.

Bit of a silly question but does it have to be a set off 1 car or could you buy a good pair or even singles then add to them to make a set? Is there a benefit to getting the set off 1 car?

No real difference if bought separately. Different date wheels are machined slightly differently on the rim area.

Early wheels had a square end profile on the spokes, later had a radius.

Not really bothered about date stamps etc, but as Joe said the face of the spokes is rounded on some, and machined flat on others I've seen.

Having to sacrifice 2 rims to make the wider set means I probably wont find 6 rims with the same date anyhow. Still gotta find a Wheel joint close to home, to take on this project. No point if I have to get them machined in Queensland or wherever, with postage and machining, I may as well buy some Weldies and still have change... :huh:

If it's south east queensland you can transport them to a depot, I will pick them up for you and drop them off to the wheel place. Then pick up when done and send back to you, should work out a lot cheaper that way if sending depot to depot. Just a thought

Cool. thanks for that, wagoon. If I cant find anywhere within a stones throw, I might consider it. Didn't think it would be that hard to locate a decent engineering shop in SA. Still lookin'........

JOE is correct 1982 esp gold snowies ,were not rolled on the edges,but 83 and 84 were,i have 2 1982 esp rims and 3 1984 ones,not a matching set but still look good.

yeas coke sent me a sample box of E85 coke the new green can  :wacko: did a measurement on the back space of a 15 inch chaser rim and they are 3 3/8ths. 15x 6

Does that ruler markings start at the end of the ruler(like on a steel engineering ruler) or is there a gap then the markings start. This is important as most plastic ruler have around a 5-10mm gap of no markings depending on which end of the ruler your using, this can change a measurement by around 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Thanks mate, would like to, but hit a snag....... emailed the Adelaide Wheel Fixxer uppers, and they said, "No, we don't do them." WTF.!! 

Don't ya hate that.??  We roll rims, fix dents, paint, weld, drill.........but NO

Have to try interstate wheel dudes, maybe.

That's right, I asked them 10 years ago and they wouldn't do it

Bit of thread mining here, but is it correct to say that if i was to paint up a set of ea or xf ghia snowies in esp gold and purchase a set of esp repro caps form ebay that said caps wont sit flush with the wheel face?

I want to make up a set but don't want them to look dodgy...