judgetread

Judgetread 2.0

336 posts in this topic

Some may remember this: Judgetread from a few years back.

muCR3GM.gif

QMebD8M.gif

wsRIRX7.jpg

Vid credits go to @Defective

For those who don't, basically it is a hydraulic roller 302 Windsor powered XF fairmont ghia, c10 3300 stall, 9 inch 4.3:1 ratio, running on convo pro's with ET street radials.

Best: 12.98 @ 106mph

Sadly, real life took over for a while and nothing had been done to it for the past 3 years or so. Sold the convo's and it has been sitting gathering dust. Well after rebuilding the mini and the XD, I decided to the the XF running and driving again.

Was able to drive the car to the workshop and it ran ok, and after chasing a miss in the car for a day or two this happened:

m7rhSLy.jpg

I couldn't figure out what was going on, it was carrying on hard to start, backfiring, and had a miss I just couldn't work out so I stripped the engine down and pulled it out.

Turns outs that it had a broken valve spring on one intake valve

As I never really knew what was in the engine as it was basically a trade for some paint work, I decided to strip it down and do a rebuild and find out whats what inside.

So it all came apart and I order a bunch of new crap to rebuild it and a slight upgrade as well :D

Sent the block off, had it decked to 0, and  honed.

69d5A0N.jpg

Did some clean up work around the oil returns and blocked off some others

brsUWGy.jpg

Luckly, I had alot of good shit in it already, and because it only did 1000k or so no real machine work need on the rotating assembly.

SCAT forged steel crank:

o2p3Gsb.jpg

SCAT H-Beam rods, SRP Forged pistons

w5X4qhs.jpg

After checking clearances and stuff added new main bearing and a morosso crank girdle, pulled apart and checked oil pump etc bolted the crank in.

cYStFJS.jpg

Thom, bear351c and Outback Jack like this

Brand new solid roller cam:

Jkvb7h9.jpg

Cam Specs:

Crane cams - SR-254/374-2S-10

Cam Style: Mechanical roller tappet

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 254

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 262

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 254 int./262 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration: 304

Advertised Exhaust Duration: 312

Advertised Duration: 304 int./312 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.599 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.599 in.

slydog, Outback Jack, Thom and 2 others like this

^^ yeh a little more this time around :D

Had the heads tickled, just minor basic work. The heads are WORLD Windsor Sr cast iron same as these.

u4B0Dnk.jpg

200cc intake runners, 2.05 intake valves, 1.65 exhaust, new springs to suit cam, new guides plate, studs, girdle, rockers, locks etc are ready to go together.

Short engine is being put together, checking piston to valve clearances then we'll go from there with getting some more compression ratio into it. but I cant get any more pictures atm.

Once the valve clearances are done and any decking is done if needed, we'll get the right pushrods to suit

Outback Jack and Thom like this

My bad...never knew. Seems I'm ignorant and guilty of assumption. That said them World heads flow rather well stock don't slow down till higher RPM. She's gunna be able to rev.

Thom likes this

well the bottom end is all together, setup and did all the piston to valve clearances, but they sent the 3/8 screw in studs not 7/16 but thats no big drama as gotta order the pushrods so ill do that at the same time.

Heads are off to get a little taken off the faces to get comp up close to 10.7 which should be real close to what we wanted.

If I can get all the parts in time should be close to built this weekend, then its a matter of deciding to repaint the car and choosing a set on wheels :D

Thom likes this

FOADtm2.jpg

Staying with the air gap for now, ill grab a single plane bit later on and get it to fit.

Engines home, now I just have to get off my ass and get the engine bay ready.

And chase up a new set of rocker covers as these are no where tall enough :D

Outback Jack, NZXD, Thom and 1 other like this

Bought some more stuff in the last week like new rocker covers and crap, going in to prep engine bay for paint tomorrow.

Will have a few things for sale off the engine like edelbrock rocker covers, pulleys to suit powersteer  windsor or clevo (triple v groove on crank, double on water pump pulley), and the roller cam and lifters from the engine when it ran 12.99.

Next is to find a alloy fabricator to do a few small things, like welding in AN fittings to the rocker covers and make up a spew can and overflow... anyone know someone southside brisbane, Redlands area?

slydog likes this

Checkout Gumtree there are a few people advertising on there. A while ago I bought some wheels and tyres off a guy near capalaba, rocked up and he made boat trailers and other ally stuff. He was a decent bloke and had a good setup and his worked looked pretty good. So if no one can direct you to someone try calling people, go and have a look at their setup and jobs they do. I don't know a welder that doesn't take pics of their jobs so any welder should be able to show you the work they have done.

Outback Jack and judgetread like this