hendrixhc

Paint Stripping the chemical way

Im going to have a try at stripping a bonnet using paint stripper. I was going to get it soda blasted but i quoted $250 to do it which i thought was a bit steep.

My question is what strippers have people used ( unfamilia shut up!)? And what did you use to neutralise it afterwards?

Any tips or hints would be much appreciated.

I've used a few, can't remember what brand was the most successful but I have found it does seem to work better if you scuff the surface with a bit of coarse sandpaper

Yeah as Thom said I have found it works better when you key up the paint. I helped my brother strip his drag ute in the gutter out the front of our house  :huh:  and even letting it sit for a while didn't work as well as keying up the paint.

Agreed. I've used the Motorspray stuff, and it works better when scuffed up, I used an old screwdriver on my bonnet, 'cos it had 3 different layers of paint on it.!  Quite therapeutic goughing a bonnet with a screwdriver, for some strange reason.

Yep the screw driver gauging is fun. Put the stuff on pretty thick and lay plastic over the panel onto the stripper. Helps keep all that stripper goodness sealed in to do its thing.

Following.

I've got a fresh tin of the motospray stuff ( I didn't think the aerosol can version would work too well)

Most recently, i've used the diggers brand stuff, it worked ok, but I did not let it sit all that long, nor did I cover it to seal in the stripper.

I'd also like to know how to neutralise it after.

Marine clean is good stuff, use it as a prep step to seal inside motorbike tanks and stuff after welding. KBS or POR15 make it, never done a whole car though.

Used both kbs and por15 marine clean and rust blast (convertor) all good, when it comes to the rust seal don't know if one is better than the other but I prefer the KBS

Dale

Cam brand stripper is the best if your paint supplier stocks it

Hey mate good choice with going with paint stripper by far the best way.

i usually use thinners and scotchy to clean the panel after ive scraped it all off, remember to lay it on thick and leave it on for a good couple hours, let it do the work.

This is how and what we use :)

+1 for the CAM paintstripper. 

scratch the paint to the metal about 10cm apart over the whole panel, run a bit of 2" tape about 10-15mm around the edge of the panel, brush a generous amount on then cover it with plastic the $1 painters plastic sheets from bunnings a great for this. go do something for an hour or so then scrape it all off. 

To clean it off just use thinners and a scotch pad then go over it with 80grit to finish the edges and key the metal for paint and a final wipe over with clean thinners.

Always wear eye and skin protection too