Squid

Hitting bump stops!

So what's the go with hitting bump stops?

I feel like I'm bottoming out over everything -.-

I've got s/L king springs and Monroe short travel shocks

I replaced the bump stops with some earlier model falcon nolathane ones, it's slightly better

I've heard about cutting the bump stops and cutting the panel and actually moving the bump stops up?

You'll definitely bottom out on the super low springs - I was hitting the stops with regular lows. Just cut the bump stops till it doesn't happen anymore. From memory I think i took about half off. Should get you over most speed humps and potholes without breaking your back. King springs are like 15% harder than stock too.

Monroe gas shocks are shit. I have them in my XD and find they do stuff all over the smaller holes/bumps even though they're fine over speed humps. Every time I go over a bumpy section of road it feels like the screws are about to pop out of my dash. The shocks just require way too much pressure to compress.

Gonna be swapping mine for koni's or something when I strip the car.

I'd say put the stock bump stops back on (no reason you need Nolathane really...) and cut them until it stops bottoming out. But it will probably still be a shit ride regardless with those shocks.

I'm not sure Dave! I'm still getting my head around suspension

It's just really solid over little bumps, but bumpy road is okay

I'll jack it up and have a look tomorrow

And maybe cut them as well

Seems like new shocks are in order and sell the monroes

• you can remove the spring cover and cut and shut it to gain some clearance but will need to wedge the ubj or else it will  quickly bind
  • don't listen to any idiot talking you into dropped spindle, it will mess up the geometry and handle like a pig
  • be very careful with braking, the weight shift to the front under hard braking will be minimal once it hits the bump stops and you will instantly lock up

the correct way to do it is to get custom springs by Kmac around 850 to 1000 pounds and revalve a Koni to cope, you can also buy aftermarket arms where the ubj is only half inch high

Try any other pair of shocks and see what happens before getting carried away. Nath has the same shocks and same problem with his XD.

I've run mine lower for years with standard pedders comfort gas shocks and it handled and rode great.

That's way too little clearance between the bump stops and upper control arm. I'd be putting the shitty rubber ones back in and cutting them in half. It's still gonna ride like shit but it won't be as back breaking as before.

Looks like you have 2 problems, literally the same ones as I have -

1. It's hitting the bump stops way too early.

2. Those shocks are too firm so over the smaller bumps they don't compress and do their job.

Cut the stops in half and change the shocks and you're golden.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's no really good reason to have Nolathane bump stops, it's not gonna make the car handle better, costs more and will make it slightly harder when the control arm does hit them.

AFAIK all the bump stops do is stop the shocks bottoming out, since you have shortened shocks there's no need for full length bump stops. There's no disadvantage to cutting them, just try to do it straight (like the stock ones).

[*]don't listen to any idiot talking you into dropped spindle, it will mess up the geometry and handle like a pig

Since I'm an "idiot", tell me the science behind drop spindles being terrible for a lowered car. Can you tell me about the x-series that had them installed that you tested? Serious question

Since I'm an "idiot", tell me the science behind drop spindles being terrible for a lowered car. Can you tell me about the x-series that had them installed that you tested? Serious question

bump steer + fucked castor

car will wander over bumps and it will not return to centre after a corner and that's just a start

bump steer + fucked castor

car will wander over bumps and it will not return to centre after a corner and that's just a start

But is this worse than the pics in post #9 where there is less than 20mm travel by the look and will ride on the stop just about all the time.

Yes a properly sorted suspension will not need anything fancy like drop spindles but if you want the look of "dropped on it's guts" you will have no choice and have to put up with the steering issues, and in that case drop spindles may well be better than the pics above.

he just needs to lower the car properly! Super Lows are NOT for street or track, they are for shows, simple as that. You should of used the KFFL-0 with a shortened damper as recommended by King. 

You can get lower than the KFFL-0, another half inch but you will need a much better damper and about 900 pound spring

Btw, that passenger shock will be doing nothing.

It looks like it's vomited all the oil out.

That's just degreaser!

Had a look at those pics, got to agree with the guys, you got no room for suspension to work properly. Accident waiting to happen.

Springs are waay too short.

Cutting bump stops is fooling yaself that ya fixed it.

No compromise for correct shocks and spring rates.

Jack.

There is a simple answer to this is: the car is obviously too low. I bet if you measure the ground clearance from the cross member it will be lower than 100mm making not street legal as well. Change springs and problem solved, car must have decent amount of suspension travel. As mentioned by broken-wheel Kings KFFL-0 with a shortened shock is what you want if you have an Alloy head crossflow in your car. If you have a Iron head cross flow or 4.0L OHC or DOHC KFFl-01 are the correct springs.

So the S/L king springs that I've bought aren't going to work?

So if I got KFFL-0 with the same shocks it'd be okay?

And how do some people get them so low and safe?