Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

WARNING - AFTERMARKET BALL JOINTS - DANGER!

Full credit for this find, must go to Forum member - Lott.

And an eye opening find it is indeed.

Seems like the hits just keep on coming in the suspension department,

with our old girls.

LVVTA_Info_05-2004_Falcon_Balljoints-Aug_2004.pdf

LVVTA_Info_05-2004_Falcon_Balljoints-Aug

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_05-2004_Falcon_Balljoints-Aug_2004.pdf

I think an OzFalcon sanctioned upper ball joint comparison test might be in order,

to see what's out there today, and how it performs.

Who agrees?

well i have made a quick drawing using the pics to make it explainable if you take it into repco or bursons etc..

might be half the reason the cheapshit ones wear out faster even?

i wonder if the aftermarket control arms rectify this issue, the shelby drop is meant to help i think too?

non%20OE%20balljoint%20issue_zpstbydxd3m

One point worth making - I believe XF (and maybe XE) have longer bumpstops than XD and earlier?

Second - I can confirm Protek brand have sufficient travel as I had my ute sitting on the bumpstops for quite a while. But in saying that it is a XF with the possibly longer bumpstops.

Thanks Sparky Dave, and Lott.  As they say, 'a picture tells a thousand words'..... don't have to be a rocket scientist to know some of those ball joints are Fookin Shite.! Used to sell a lot of QH and TRW stuff at the parts shop, (way back when,) never had one come back.

Are any of the failed brands mention still available? The document is 11 years old.

Or are you saying we should test the current aftermarket ones to compare their specs?

These days, a lot of stuff is made in Asia, (cheap labour) and sold as Australian. Not sure ANY are made in Oz anymore.

But, I reckon a comparison of todays stuff would be nice. Anyone got a FoMoCo original ball joint with rivets, still in the box??

Are any of the failed brands mention still available? The document is 11 years old.

Or are you saying we should test the current aftermarket ones to compare their specs?

Some are still available, yes.

And yes, I think an Aussie re-test is in order.

One point worth making - I believe XF (and maybe XE) have longer bumpstops than XD and earlier?

Second - I can confirm Protek brand have sufficient travel as I had my ute sitting on the bumpstops for quite a while. But in saying that it is a XF with the possibly longer bumpstops.

XD-XG factory bumpstops are longer, XK-XC/Mustang are shorter.

But........ ONLY the shorter style is available aftermarket, and is sold as suitable for XK-XG.

I don't think genuine bumpstops are available anymore in either style.

Maybe do a test -

take the boot off the balljoint, and remove the spring/shock, and see what the balljoint clearance is like, throughout the full arc of travel.

From left to right -

NOS XD-XG (nla)

Mackay

Rarespares

Superpro

IMG_2807.jpg

I assume these parts are supposed to meet an Australian standard. It would be interesting to see any current data, who the testing Authority is or if they even bother.

You would kind of hope that some one has done their due diligence as it is a fairly critical component on the car.

I can confirm "there is no upper ball joints from REPCO in the SILVERLINE  brand in any Repco store in NSW"

Their distribution center doesn't have any and has no plans on ordering them either.

Repco sell TRW or Transteering ball joints and prefer to do so.

We find if and when asked for a ball joint that we refer to the TRW part number and nothing else. 

We do have a few silverline brand tie rod ends in stock for different cars but not bloody many, mostly

Toyota crap.

Any body who buys a Silverline  brand part from anywhere clearly has no money to buy a better product,

and trust me, we see it all the time.

We give the customer a quality brand, tell em the price and they always go, "is there anything cheaper"  :wacko:

Filters, tie rods and brake shoes, if you ask for a cheap brand then you get what you pay for, if your car wont stop

properly cause you aint got any money to buy better quality brake pads bar Silverline then 'you need to save up till you can'.

Dave and Lott, i give you guys credit for letting the members no about this poor quality product, 

if you here of any more, speak up.

At the same time people, put a good well known brand/product on your car, do it once do it right.  thumbs_zpskoucgxnf.jpg

I can confirm "there is no upper ball joints from REPCO in the SILVERLINE  brand in any Repco store in NSW"

Their distribution center doesn't have any and has no plans on ordering them either.

Repco sell TRW or Transteering ball joints and prefer to do so.

We find if and when asked for a ball joint that we refer to the TRW part number and nothing else. 

We do have a few silverline brand tie rod ends in stock for different cars but not bloody many, mostly

Toyota crap.

Any body who buys a Silverline  brand part from anywhere clearly has no money to buy a better product,

and trust me, we see it all the time.

We give the customer a quality brand, tell em the price and they always go, "is there anything cheaper"  :wacko:

Filters, tie rods and brake shoes, if you ask for a cheap brand then you get what you pay for, if your car wont stop

properly cause you aint got any money to buy better quality brake pads bar Silverline then 'you need to save up till you can'.

Dave and Lott, i give you guys credit for letting the members no about this poor quality product, 

if you here of any more, speak up.

At the same time people, put a good well known brand/product on your car, do it once do it right.  thumbs_zpskoucgxnf.jpg

there shouldn't be an unsafe option available for sale..full stop. prices for better than OE quality higher would be fine.

I bought a set of balljoints for my ute, WASP is the brand, I doubt I have had them for 12 months and the rubbers are already split. Is there any other brand of Balljoints/Tierods that's decent?

Nothing seems to last nowadays.

The main brands available these days, seem to be -

Roadsafe

TRW - a Repco special

Transteering

Wasp

Protex

Ford Motorcraft - Taiwanese balljoints

Rare Spares - unbranded

ebay - unbranded specials

Moog - premo brand from the USA

555 - when you can find them

HOWEVER -

it's questionable just how many of these brands (if any)

have the range of movement the old Aussie 3 piece TRW ball joints had.

there shouldn't be an unsafe option available for sale..full stop. prices for better than OE quality higher would be fine.

I so 100% agree, but weather you buying an air filter for your car or a $9 electric kettle from Big W, these crappy products are

out there, so its up to the 'consumer' to think twice "will i go cheap and nasty, or buy a little bit better"?

With the aid of the internet these days and personally talking with your mechanic,

we should research products before we perhaps fork out our hard earned $$

but we are just to lazy to do so + and this is a big +,

we trust the product that comes out of the box, believe me i have been bitten more than once building project goldie,

the money i have wasted on that due to it being a shit product and not up to my standard or being incorrect 

so im guilty to  ;)  

there should be laws making it illegal to sell dangerous "new oem replacements"

there may well be, but when i had the tie rod incident, no one wanted to take it up, i contacted several places and all refered to the next place till it came back to the first i inquired with

(p.s. My $7 kettle works better than the $65 one i had last)

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/2603-warning-please-read-cheap-parts-danger/

I think it's up to us, to do the hard work.

The problem is too 'obscure' for regulators to be interested IMO.

I could easily get onto Alibaba, and import a crate of BJ94's from some chinese seller, to flog on ebay.

There is no regulation I don't think.

Only self certification.

I think it's up to us, to do the hard work.

The problem is too 'obscure' for regulators to be interested IMO.

I could easily get onto Alibaba, and import a crate of BJ94's from some chinese seller, to flog on ebay.

There is no regulation I don't think.

Only self certification.

what are the yanks using? are there good ball joints over there or are they importing the same junk from china?

Do the yanks have cars that need the 3 bolt type? Ive got wasp brand stuff up front, ill have to look at their travel potential now

Do the yanks have cars that need the 3 bolt type? Ive got wasp brand stuff up front, ill have to look at their travel potential now

pretty  sure one model does, not sure if its the mustang or ranchero/torino thing?

They do have a MOOG upper ball joint to suit the Aussie Falcons - K8142 is the part number.

Suits the Ford Torino's, and some Lincolns.

The lower ball joint only seems to come as a part of new lower arm assemblies.

And from the pics, it certainly looks like it'd have the correct travel.

It has the cutout front and back, to allow the spindle to lay over more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Front-Upper-Suspension-Ball-Joint-K8142-/381228686768?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item58c3001db0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Control-Arm-and-Ball-Joint-Assembly-Front-Right-Upper-Dorman-520-105-/351054938096?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item51bc813ff0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-K8202-1972-79-Ford-1968-79-Lincoln-Front-Upper-Control-Arm-Bushing-Kit-/330868480444?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item4d094c59bc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-Set-Front-Lower-Control-Arm-Suspension-with-Bushings-Ford-Mercury-/390978646812?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item5b0824b31c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Front-Lower-K8123-Suspension-Control-Arm-and-Ball-Joint-Assembly-/301646698946?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item463b8b59c2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-K8192-Suspension-Control-Arm-Bushing-Kit-Lower-Control-Arm-/171805362727?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item280065ca27&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unimotive-BJ1812-Suspension-Control-Arm-and-Ball-Joint-Assembly-Front-Lower-/291373573358?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item43d737e4ee&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mercury-Lower-Control-Arm-W-Ball-Joint-Bushings-Front-Left-LH-Or-Right-/371281099878?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3ATorino&hash=item567213fc66&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Control-Arm-and-Ball-Joint-Assembly-Front-Lower-MOOG-CK8123-/141678199326?fits=Year%3A1970|Make%3AFord|Model%3AMustang&hash=item20fcadc21e&vxp=mtr