wagoon

security nut removal

Bought a parts ute on the weekend, tried to remove the wheels and found that they have one of those security nuts. I contacted the the guy I bought it off and he is not sure where it is. So has anyone gotten one of these security nuts off without the key nut? Or any ideas on how to get it off?

This is what the nuts look like

20150525_183607_zpsw97zuilc.jpg

And the major pain is that there are 3 mag wheels which are deep holes so I can't just clamp something on the side of the nut

20150525_183621_zpsthmfijy1.jpg

Chisel the ends until theres a groove then use an impact driver with an appropriate flat blade bit, I've got a set of those locknuts off a parts car before using this method

** Slaps head here**

You just reminded me how i took the one of my car.  :blink:

Well I'm hoping like hell that this is the correct key as I can buy just a spare key

acc-wlock-nuts.jpg

Will check tyre places in town tomorrow on way home, so will know by tomorrow night which way I will go. The normal nuts were really tight on the rim probably from when the ute hugged a guard rail just a little to tightly. So I might try the socket idea first as I'm guessing I might go through a few flat blade bits trying to get all 4 off. Thanks for the tips lads will update tomorrow on the progress, as I need to change the wheels just to get the ute in the shed to start stripping it :(

if you tighten the other 4 wheel nuts the lock nut usually ends up a bit looser.. i used Vise grips on one set of round nuts(with the funny shape internal drive)

those ones look like you could find a socket that would "tap on with a big hammer" to undo easy enough.

i'd say the new packet may have the teeth in different spots, couldnt see it being that easy... never know.

have you searched in the car for the lock nut key, glove box, ash tray, jack tool area etc? might be able to reuse them again.

(dont attempt to grab them with pointy nose pliers.. they break when twisted... i know this from undoing dash vent knob nuts on an XE)

I went to the tyre shop and the bloke wasnt keen to sell me anything without a code, I asked where the code would be he said on the key nut. I just looked at him and said "gee thats smart of them isn't it". Anyway the bloke said that when a car comes in that doesnt have the key and they can't match it they use the spanner method as well. So looks like I'm heading down that path.

Was young blokes footy training tonight so will have to wait till tomorrow to see what size nut I will destroy. And yeah I have had a good look through the ute for the nut, the only place I have looked is under the seat but I have to remove the seat to get under there. To get under the car to remove the seat I need to swap wheels over :huh:  The tyres are off the bead and the rims are cracked so the only choice is to put different wheels under. The car is parked on a bit of a slope so I'm not even keen to jack the car up and put stands under it. I will try to tightening the nuts a bit harder and see if that helps, but they are already pretty tight probably to tight.

I went to the tyre shop and the bloke wasnt keen to sell me anything without a code, I asked where the code would be he said on the key nut. I just looked at him and said "gee thats smart of them isn't it". Anyway the bloke said that when a car comes in that doesnt have the key and they can't match it they use the spanner method as well. So looks like I'm heading down that path.

Was young blokes footy training tonight so will have to wait till tomorrow to see what size nut I will destroy. And yeah I have had a good look through the ute for the nut, the only place I have looked is under the seat but I have to remove the seat to get under there. To get under the car to remove the seat I need to swap wheels over :huh:  The tyres are off the bead and the rims are cracked so the only choice is to put different wheels under. The car is parked on a bit of a slope so I'm not even keen to jack the car up and put stands under it. I will try to tightening the nuts a bit harder and see if that helps, but they are already pretty tight probably to tight.

cant you slide the seats forward? there is a fair bit of room, i used to fit My jack, wheel brace and winder etc behind the seats.. maybe they have map pockets on them and if it has an ash tray might be in there?

anyway.. beats having a puncture on the road side in the same situation.

Its a bench seat ute and the seat doesnt want to slide to far forward. I have search everywhere I can in the ute and havent come across the key. I spoke to the old owner and he said in the glovebox or with the jack. Well the glovebox had been cleaned out and I cant find a jack in the car. Im thinking when they went through the car to take out their stuff its been removed. I will have one final look through the whole ute as Im going to chuck all the rubbish in the bin the I know where I am at as I strip it. If I cant find it then I will go with the socket idea. And I wont be putting my hand under the seat as I have already found tampons, underwear and something Im to scared to open.

Need to get one of these sockets its to get rounded nuts and lost security nuts off

00999303000_zpsjtysw6rt.jpg

These are brilliant! I got some off the Wurth rep after I tested his sample one on a high tensile bolt with a rattle gun, just screwed the head off. 

These are brilliant! I got some off the Wurth rep after I tested his sample one on a high tensile bolt with a rattle gun, just screwed the head off. 

Yea i've used a few of them now and they work the treat

Are they any good on a nut like in my first pic? Seems like the need a bit of meat to bite into

Yea they will work you can get them in a few sizes, i've used them on a few of the lock nuts

Well I manned up put some latex gloves on and went rummaging through the ute tonight. Apart from 2 pairs of shoes,  some more female underwear and feminine hygiene products I stumbled across the lock nut key THANK FUCK. It was actually up under the seat and I only felt it with the back of my hand as I feeling around. Doesn't matter all good I can get the wheels changed over now :D