S33YA

What exhaust system

Hi all,

After opinions on an exhaust for the XF, currently it's bog stock and honestly I like the quietness in the cab, however I can't stand that from the outside you can't tell if it's on. So is there a compromise available for moderately quiet inside and noise outside. Previously I had lukey extractors with 2.5" pipe to a lukey muffler. Loved the noise, hated the incar noise at 60kmh. So any ideas fellas??

Pacemaker 6-3-1 into 2-1/2" pipes to a decent resonator, then offset glasspack just before the kick-up over the diff. Straight run to the tail pipe, or if you want quieter, drop it to 2-1/4 pipe (only if you're running a stock/mild engine) and add a little straight glasspack before the tip. This will kill any rasp you don't want. Using say a 2" twin tip can kill a bit of the boom if it's still a problem. Don't tuck the tip in too close to the body as this makes it noisy inside. Have it stick out past the bumper at least 2".

I had a similar system on my Corty except the offset glasspack was after the diff and no more mufflers after that. It had presence but was very quiet at highway cruise speeds.

my suggestion if don't want it to loud is :- extractors, 2.5" 100 cell cat(if needed), 2.5" into 12" hotdog then back to a 14" tri flow muffler then 2.5" tail pipe.

I Have this on my AU, nice note under 2000rpm and not loud, but stab the pedal when over 2000rpm and will make some noise.

Was actually looking at a single 2.5" dynomax vt. Mate of mine has one on his ba and works really well. Does exactly as it claims

Have you looked @ a Dyno max VT inside ? The picture tells me 2 things straight away. It will fail/break and it is not going to help free up and HP. Just by design it looks like a power killer not maker.

Any suggestions then mate. I'm open to ideas, I have a hydraulic bender and cut off saw so will be making it myself. Just want it to stay quiet inside.

I had a petrol carby 4 litre landcruiser with a glass pack muffler in the standard rear position just before the diff and a "hotdog" style muffler at the rear with the exhaust tip attached to the hotdog. It was quiet below 2500rpm then got meaty above that and never droned. I have basically the same setup in my sedan with a muffler in the rear factory position and a hotdog style muffler right a the rear. Right or wrong I have been told that this style of setup with the hotdog at the rear keeps the drone down.

I do agree with Sly that the Dyno max muffler would more than likely fail then it would either cause massive flow issues if the flap stays shut or be worthless with the flap open. And also plenty of people have had success with the hooker aero chamber mufflers