Server maintenance Read more... ×
wagoon

Wagon Exhaust

So my wagon has developed quite a bad exhaust leak over the last couple of weeks, the pipes and mufflers are quite rusty. Since I have just spent way to long building my sedan exhaust I can't be bothered making one for my wagon unless I really really really- well you get the point. I have a cheap $50 no name brand of extractors to go on already. I had a look on evilbay to see what they are pushing and they have only e series wagon stuff, would this come close to fitting the x series? I understand that a mount or 2 might need to change position but that is nothing compared to making it from scratch, I don't even mind cutting and adjusting the premade to suit if it's close. Plus the redback mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch off evilbay to suit e series is between $200 and $250 (depending if I can pickup or must be delivered) which is not to bad a price considering 2 1/4 inch mandrels cost me $14 each and 2 1/4 inch straights in 1 metre lengths cost me $16 each (2 1/2 inch should add $2-$3 on top of 2 1/4 inch price going off the sedan pipe prices).  This is an everyday car so can't be off the road for more than 1 weekend. I don't really care about note just don't want it loud although if it cost just a couple bucks more wouldn't say no to a nice note.

If I made the exhaust myself I'm guessing it needs around 6 bends and could probably get away with 1 metre of tube if long muffler are used and a hotdog which would also need to be bought . Would end costing at least $250 for me to make with cheap muffler and hotdog anyway.

Would be interesting to hear if the X series is similar to a E-series....

I know EA-AU Sedan exhausts are the same.... Would think the wagons are too.

Finding a cheap E series 2.5inch catback at U-Pullit (pick-a-part etc) would be a hell of a lot easier too and cheaper on the pocket.....

They used the same floor dimensions with some variations around the seat area. Wheelbase is the same, only big difference I can see is the tailpipe exit on e-series drops down with a bit of a dog-leg. Even if there are differences in the two exhausts, some slight mods will make it fit. I modded a set of coupe pipes to fit my wags with a couple of short extensions welded here and there.

They used the same floor dimensions with some variations around the seat area. Wheelbase is the same, only big difference I can see is the tailpipe exit on e-series drops down with a bit of a dog-leg. Even if there are differences in the two exhausts, some slight mods will make it fit. I modded a set of coupe pipes to fit my wags with a couple of short extensions welded here and there.

Yeah figured the length were the same just wasn't sure about fuel tank area and didn't even think about rear seat floor area. I haven't been under an e series wagon for a long time and just wanted to make sure I didn't waste my money.

So this is the one on ebay that tweaked my interest http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-FORD-FALCON-6-CYL-WAGON-REDBACK-2-5-CATBACK-SPORTS-EXHAUST-/170618594854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27b9a92626  Anyone used one of these systems, are they any good? Waste of money?

Hmmmm 

EA-AU exhausts are plentiful down at U-Pullit and get the odd 2.5"too....

I have a MIG...... 

Might have to invest in a pipe cutter I thinks......

When I made the exhaust for my sedan every cut was with a 4 inch grinder with cut off disc. While it's not the best way to do it as it can lead to gaps if you have a mig you can easily fill those gaps up. Also just watch when buying and welding used exhaust cause it may be covered in crap that causes a real problem when trying to weld it.

That's the muffler I run on my ute wagon, redback are OK, I run the muffler section and pipe, and have a free flow cat before that.

Sounds pretty good, better than a stock system. Mine is 2 1/2".

That price is a bit shit though, sure I have seen that set for around 180, change ya listings on ebay to lowest price and postage.... may help ya if you haven't done it already.

Jack.

Bear I found it a very big advantage to be able to cut pipe on an angle which helps change the direction of the exhaust without needing bends which saves a bucket load of coin.

Jack that ebay add was just an example as it gave part numbers, but I did try the postage thing and it was still $240 including postage to my door. The stuff for $170 odd was all standard pressed bent stuff and they didn't even list diameter of pipe, plus when you add the $40 shipping and its only $30 cheaper than the redback stuff. Now that I know what to ask for( have part numbers) I can visit the local rip off merchants otherwise known as exhaust shops and see how many limbs their asking price is. Might even see if there is someone parting out a wagon locally that has a fairly new exhaust.

RedBack is Difillipo if i'm not mistaken. He puts his name on the performance stuff and RedBack on the replacement gear.

Happy to be wrong but $245 for a exhaust is good buying IMO.

We have same type of exhaust on my mums EA sedan works well but not loud enough, but standard cats are like a resonator,

My XF ute & my brothers XE wagon have the same exhuast bar the fatory manifold & cat on the XF and there's a big difference in sound.

well picked up a parts xf ute that comes with what looks like a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Started ripping it apart this arvo and will continue tomorrow as it a Ryan Day Off (RDO for those wondering) If I can get it started tomorrow (think its only the 3 pin plug not plugged into dizzy) I will move it into the shed and strip the shit out of the ute