hendrixhc

Spray gun advice

Ok so it seems its a mammoth bloody task getting someone to get the arse out and quote on respraying the roof of Miss Ephie so i am toying with the idea of having one last crack at it before shipping her to the scrappers.

What i need to know is what spray guns are recommended by those in the know for spraying acrylic?

I want to get a decent one that isnt going to leak and give a piss poor fan pattern. I am assuming a GF would be the preferred choice.

I recon the budget might be round $300.

Hit me up with some suggestions.

I have a very old Scorpion gun that I get great results from.  It is a direct Star copy.  Star guns are a good budget option for two pack - not sure on acrylic as I don't spray it. 

If there is one thing I have found it is that you need to give any new gun a really good clean before use.  also ditch the little filter they all seem to come with as they restrict paint flow leading to poor results.  Use paper filters instead to filter the paint on entry.

It really doesn't matter which gun you get if you don't know how to set them up properly to get a good fan.  I just bought one from Supercrap for $45 and I could not get it to spray properly until I turned the outer cap the wrong way around.  clearly someone stamped the 1.4 the wrong way around.  prior to that the fan was just rubbish.

Anesta Iwata are the best gun around in my opinion.  Nice and light - great action and they just lay it on like glass.  Not cheap but a really great product.  I'm working my way up to buying one. 

Really is comes down to good prep work - getting the fan right and laying it on nice.  If all else fails - jam the shit on there with 4 good coats and wet sand a buff the fek out of it.

I always wondered about those internal filters. I used to replace them all the time as they would block up. 

I always use the external paper filters to. It amazing how much crap they strain out.

How do you clean the gun Ando? I always clean mine out with thinners and as if i was spraying with it then strip it and soak the components.

This was the gun i used originally

newgun.jpg

It was ok but the cup had no lid seal and it dripped the first time i used it and stuffed the paint.

The second time i fitted a seal and it didnt leak but i just couldnt get the fan right. It all seemed to spray to the top of the gun not the bottom if that makes sense.

What sort do you have Hendrix? Looks pretty basic.

I have one of those Workquip ones Autobarn used to sell for around $100. Worked well for me. I found if the pressure was too low it blocked the tip or cap. Has the same annoying issue with the lid though and it doesnt even fit right.

From memory Ants did some nice paintwork, hopefully he will chip in.

Iwata, Devilbiss etc are meant to be great. The chinese ones like I have are generally copies of the more expensive ones.

yeah this was a cheapish one from mitre 10. Was a bout $150 i think. i thought it had starr written on it but i could be wrong.

I pull my gun down after every use.  remove the outer cap and the fluid cap and put them in a small (empty tomato paste) tin full of thinner. 

I run a old pistol cleaning brush through the cup out into the fluid path.  every now and again I run a mig cleaner through the outer cap to ensure all the holes air clean and free from any left over paint.  small amounts can build up and stuff your fan. 

When you pull the outer cap out of the thinner the next morning - raise it up to the light and make sure you can see light out of all the holes.

Also make sure the breather hole in the lid of the cup is clear and free from restriction.  From new I get a drill bit and double the size of the breather hole.  If it gets blocked air pressure will build up inside the cup and it will force paint out through the threads of the cap and out onto the job.  this usually results in a loud -FUUU..KKK type noise from the operator.'

apart from that, making sure the threads of the cup and lid are clean and the out side and trigger are given a wipe over.  My old scorpion is getting seriously on a bit now and the needle is showing signs of wear but I can still lay it on with it and its like an old pair of slippers.  I just know it well.  yeah it's not a million dollar gun - but it works well. 

Thats pretty much how i clean mine up to. 

And the loud FFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK came out as well when id dripped paint all over the roof the first time i sprayed it to.

What size tip is best for acrylic?

And what line pressure would you recommend?

I recon i was using 45psi.

I'd recommend an Iwata AZ3 like this with a 1.8mm tip :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IWATA-AZ3-HTE2-1-8mm-ACRYLIC-GRAVITY-SPRAY-GUN-PRIMER-ENAMEL-HAMMERCOAT-/170693394006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27be1e7e56

I bought one last year to do the Prem and XE with (haven't quite got around to either yet :unsure:), but have done a lot of bike stuff with it and a few odd car panels, all in acrylic.

I'm very impressed with the quality of it and it has saved me a fair bit of time in wet sanding and buffing compared to the SCA gun I was using previously.

They are an entry level Iwata gun made in Italy rather than Japan but spares and seal kits are available for them as with the dearer guns.

There are probably a few cheaper guns that would do the job, the Scorpion 2mm suction gun I use for primer would probably be reasonably good for top coats but I'm pretty happy with the Iwata for the price.

Pressure wise use 35 psi with the trigger pulled, run a regulator on the base of the gun so you can keep an eye on it. 

Hey mate if your after value for money try eBay.com I got a deville biss hvlp pack it came with a priming gun 2mm tip

A finishing gun with a 1.3 and 1.5 tip tools and brushes to pull apart and clean the guns. I think it was like $180 to my door when the dollar was good

I recently bought two Star SG4000 GF guns - a 2.0mm tip for primers and acrylics (if I ever spray them again) and a 1.4mm gun for 2K top coat. I bought two because I was told buying the internals to swap between guns would cost almost as much as two separate guns. They replaced a Workquip thing. I think they were around 150 bucks each and they put the Workquip unit into the shade. Really nice paint atomisation in comparison to what I had used without a killer price. Built nicely as well. Recently sprayed up a panel for my EF XR6 in 2K and was really impressed with the finish I obtained. I would consider my self to be a fairly competent beginner painter and would recommend these guns to someone of my skill level for whom an Iwata or whatever is overkill.

Secondly.....hendixhc.....could you take a look at your XC thread...gotta question for you.

Star are a direct rip off of Iwata. Still a good gun for cheapy paint jobs.

Anything above a 1.4 tip is useless with acrylic, at 1:1 mix it's too fluid and will pour out at a million miles an hour.

I used a 1.8 I think last time. I'll use the 1.4 now then. Even with metallic acrylic? Looking at spraying metallic for the first time and I'm a bit worried. I guess as long as it doesn't run it should be OK.

Secondly.....hendixhc.....could you take a look at your XC thread...gotta question for you.

Ive had a look Gav --- whats your question?

Star are a direct rip off of Iwata. Still a good gun for cheapy paint jobs.

Anything above a 1.4 tip is useless with acrylic, at 1:1 mix it's too fluid and will pour out at a million miles an hour.

That's really odd....I was under the impression that a larger fluid tip was required for acrylics when compared with 2K. I've used a 1.8/2.0 tip in the past and haven't had a problem with runs. It's possible I tailored my technique to suit the rate of material deposition.....when the opportunity arises I may just try a 1.4 tip with acrylic to see how it goes.

Ive had a look Gav --- whats your question?

Thread hijack! I've made a seperate thread on XA-XC a-pillar corrosion....have a look and post there!