wagoon

All torque 6 cyl

Conversely if you wanted to you can run a AU engine,a EL style TFI carb manifold msd programmable for ignition control and you have the strongest OHC they made with the most power. Slip a EA cam in it and as Thom will support it will have "a million of tourques" in my best Clarkson voice.

All while been knuckle dragger maintained. 

Broken wheel I am in no rush to get another car, my wagon is running great its just not set up for heavy towing. The only reason I was even considering the xf ute was because it was it was well cared for, rust free (wagon has rust but not hard to fix) and 250 crossflow in good condition(wagon has a good 200 but it has no torque down low). The only money I would have to spend on the xf was fitting a towbar that's it, the xr6 I was told about apparently isn't to bad but no one ever looks under a car before they tell you its good. And not to be rude but I wouldn't buy any of those that you posted. Option 1 is probably ok but it has been bogan modified, the car yard would have bought it from an auction which means its been traded in because someone needed another car (most likely needing a bit of work they didnt have cash for so get a loan for new car). Option 2 looks ok but the rip in the bumper is a concern and worn steering wheel needs replacing but for insurance purposes an airbag steering wheel must be replaced with a brand new one which are not longer available, if your in a crash and they can prove your steering wheel is second hand you are fucked (all insurances will be void so no third party insurance or comprehensive if you have it) Option 3 and 4 are already out of budget at purchase price, I wouldnt pay more than $500 for either of them any way and even then they would need a very good check over.

Sly while that is a ripper setup doesn't it require sump mods to fit? Plus parts cost alone would be near budget and the wagon would still need things like towbar, rust fixed, different gearbox as current is single rail ect so the cost would be moreo much when compared to an eb/ed in decent condition. Then wagon would need blue plate ect for insurance purpose as my family will be in the car

like a car  insurer would give a crap about a $1500 car with a 2nd hand steering wheel that seems a little silly since there would be a ton of airbag cars on the road today and some you my not be able to by a new wheel for

I know is sounds stupid but it's not actually the insurance companies that made the rule it's a roadworthy issue. So if your car is not roadworthy insurance wont pay out. The info may well be wrong but I am not willing to find out, just like wood grain steering wheels they are not road worthy and if you are in an accident your insurance will be void because your car is not road worthy. That includes 3rd party insurance so if someone gets hurt you are paying out of your own pocket

My commodore had a wood wheel they payed it out all 20k of it, it was a VB dunnydore and i got to keep the car, this went thru the courts but as she hit me and my car was not insured (to many mods under 25 you know the drill)

The black car had a momo wheel it got payed out but was only a 5k car but at the time cortys where worth $800 for a ok regoed one

I bet they do not care unless its a 30K + car and you left the keys in it. A 1500 buck car they will not even look at it they will look at the 50k car you crashed into

Not road worthy and they will not pay you? maybe if the brakes don't work, but cause of a steering wheel i doubt it. But a 1500 car will it road worthy? I don't think it will be, anything under 5k will likely be a shit heap

All this but your budget is $1500 bucks for a car? ill put money they could find 40 things worng with a "Road worthy car" to not pay you out if it was in a crash. will they even look at your $1500 car not a chance its a road worthy not a condition report if it has dents a non standed wheel I bet they would not care even if you run over someone   

Is this why everyone drives stock white crapodores?, Every ones living in fear of getting into a crash?. Im looking into it to much Im going to bed

I hear what your saying and I do agree. I'm no saint but when it comes to a daily driver that my family will be in I am very particular on it, the only thing that makes my xe wagon not roadworthy is the indicator doesn't return by itself all the time due to a tight mechanism. I payed around a $1000 for it and spent less $500 to make it roadworthy, there are some other things wrong with the car but they are not roadworthy issues and will be fixed over time. I don't expect a car to be roadworthy when I buy it at that price range but to keep the cost down I just try and find a good one, it can take quite a while to find one but since I'm not desperate for a car right now I can be picky.

And I know of one car that has been defected for the foam on the top of the steering wheel being worn and loose so you could twist it. Also know someone that had their car written off because the insurer wouldn't allow second hand parts to be used and new parts weren't available.

I have just tried to find the rule on airbag replacement and can't find it, so either I'm wrong which is probably right or I need to dig further.

Thanks for that, I will have a look for it. In queensland rego is paid on number of cylinders, a v8 cost a couple of hundred extra to rego each year. So it would need to be a pretty good buy to make up for extra costs. In saying that I love the sound and look of Thom's wagon so is definitely worth a look.

But stick a trailer on it and see what happens and how much fuel it uses

1 thing a V8 will do better then a 6 is pull. it will also be better on fuel doing it. V8s have low end grunt and that is why people that tow stuff use V8s or turbo diesels cause they have good flat lowend torque

Its funny the 6 is faster could it be cause its 300kg lighter, geared shorter, and revs a 1000rpm harder nar that cant be it

Injected V8s are shit on fuel over a 6? LOL beacon didn't we drive your lane to the summernats on 1 tank? show me a 6cyl that will do any better im keen to see it

yeah a basic windsor with exhaust is a towing machine! we got shafted with the windsor thou, iron heads and really shitty ones too, we had to use the US waste dump and got the shit heads...

the AU3 xr8 ute was a fucking awesome tow horse! 5th gear would pull 1.5 tonne boat like it wasn't there and return 11l/100km

1 thing a V8 will do better then a 6 is pull. it will also be better on fuel doing it. V8s have low end grunt and that is why people that tow stuff use V8s or turbo diesels cause they have good flat lowend torque

Its funny the 6 is faster could it be cause its 300kg lighter, geared shorter, and revs a 1000rpm harder nar that cant be it

Injected V8s are shit on fuel over a 6? LOL beacon didn't we drive your lane to the summernats on 1 tank? show me a 6cyl that will do any better im keen to see it

EF standard 6 157kw @4900rpm 357Nm @3000rpm

EF V8 165kw @4500 rpm  388Nm @3000rpm

Struggling to see the big advantage of having the V8 in this example while taking into consideration the extra weight of 300kg you estimate. Sorry.

Yes yes we did and it was very comfy

Cortina for life

Did 4 brisbane to sydney and back in my ef wagon, best return on fuel I got was 7.82 litres per 100kms with the back of the wagon full of baby cots, stroller etc as my son was a baby plus clothes and enough stuff for a week away. That tank got me from newcastle to the gold coast and still had enough to drive a bit further. Other trips averaged just over 8's. Wagon towed a car trailer a couple of times and it never gave any trouble but I also take it easy when towing with just a car. The wagon was completely stock, no exhaust, no air filter change nothing

And who pulls a trailer at 3000RPM? LOL kids

Have you driven both with 2 ton straped upto the back up the hills out of Melbourne? the 6 does it in 2nd gear the v8 chugs past in top using half the fuel cause its making torque where you can use it

Like I said people use a V8 to tow trailers for a reason. Same torque at half the revs you only have to drive the two and you can feel the v8 have a heaps more torque much lower down then the 6 does but I speak for real world experience not what I read in a book