Server maintenance Read more... ×
Panko

Injectors for EFi cross flow

Hi guys,

Just interested to know if there are any injectors other than original cross flow injectors that will go straight in and work straight away.

For example from a 4L engine etc etc.

While my wagon is off the road, im sorting out new injectors for it, and fuel pump(s) just weighing up my options.

Yep e-series are as good as the same. Au are bigger apparently. I think there is a difference between leaded and unleaded XF but not enough to notice.

Thom can you confirm?

I just want another full set of injectors to get refurbished while i keep mine all together. Just wanted to see what else works.

I did the exact same thing. Straight swap. Didnt notice any power increases or anything but seemed to be smoother. Probably just the refurbished injectors.

i was going to do an exchange set, so hand mine over for a set of refurbished units, but my gut was telling me not to give up my injectors, so if i can get some later ones, get em refurbed ill be happy with that. 

I'm replacing the fuel pump as well. and maybe fuel filter at the back of the car

you going to use the injectors when turbo charged panko?

i'd look at v6 supercharged injectors

xf injectors are 19lbs for the blue unleaded (199.5cc/min)

au injectors are 21lbs (220.5cc/min)

ba turbo injectors i think are 32lbs (336cc/min)

v6 supercharged are 36lbs (378cc/min)

hope this info helps ya out

Thanks george. I will if they will go straight in. I dont really want to be mucking about too much. The main thing is to get the car running really well as an n/a. Im kinda going through a process of elimination at the moment to slowly sort out a couple of gremlins i have, so new (or recoed injectors) new fuel pump(s), new fuel filter, then anything electrical.

George, or anyone else who can verify, can i run a higher flow injector without stuffing with the ECU? 

I'm currently looking at a set of bosch blue top injectors, reconditioned, they are 24-25lbs flow rate. 

It seems like a waste of money if your boosting it id put up with it and buy injectors to suit boost and bosch 044 pump or maybe a 023 intank as you don't plan on pushing it

Turbo corty runs au injectors but it runs a microtech so I would not know if it would upset how yours will run 

If this is not you daily drive you cant boost it now if you need to buy these items?

Au injectors have a better spray pattern than the earlier 4.0 ones. 

If your planning to go turbo later on why not just get some good condition au ones for now, then later spend money getting exactly what you need? 

well yeah i guess it would make sense to set it up for turbo now, however i still have no idea when that will happen. I still have plenty of things i want to sort out and source before fitting the turbo stuff up to it. 

Im open to ideas, providing any of them go straight in without screwing with the ECU for now. The main reason for doing the injectors and pump now, is to slowly try and find a gremlin causing the engine to miss when the engine is nearly at running temp. I've been chasing it for some time. I have replaced a few electrical items, the injectors are original, and the fuel pump has done a lot of work. 

if i can't get rid of this mess, i dont want to turbo it while it has some issues still, providing i turbo this engine. 

so at the moment i just want to get the engine running happy as an N/A. I know it means spending more money again down the line. 

It seems like a waste of money if your boosting it id put up with it and buy injectors to suit boost and bosch 044 pump or maybe a 023 intank as you don't plan on pushing it

Turbo corty runs au injectors but it runs a microtech so I would not know if it would upset how yours will run 

If this is not you daily drive you cant boost it now if you need to buy these items?

the bosch 023 intank pump is probably something I will fit now

it means ill have to buy all the filters etc separate to the pump itself. and hope it fits the standard mountings 

The miss I think will be on the idle side and id do coil leads plugs and all the tune up stuff but if its not there at oprateing temp it will be a  coolant temp sensor and I would not even bother its not going to pull fuel away from it if anything it will add it all this after a comp test and check of engine condition but the ECU will never keep up with the turbo so why even bother with it?

The pump only pushes fuel id do it as part of the conversion its working fine and will not be the cause of the miss ill put money on it

Ill be offering advice all night as im to sick to do anything else :( and the DVD boss will not let me watch something good so you may want to run away LOL

well thats just it, the plugs and leads haven't done much work. 

i know compression is down, the engine has done 317,000km. I have a spare E2 head there which i am getting done up and put on, again whether i turbo it or not, because again the head has never been done up. I had a leak down tester i had borrowed from a mate, but never had the chance to test the engine with it so its gone back to him. 

the pump I'm not convinced it is working 100% in my case. when i replaced it back in 2008, I couldn't get the correct filters, or the exact pump. so i had to reuse the old filter. It gets fuel surge when the tank gets low, which would tell me either the pump is struggling to keep up, or it doesn't sit in the correct spot in the tank to get enough fuel when low. Thats why i want to replace the pump, and while I'm at it do the injectors. 

Im a little confused as to what you said about the AU injectors above. George listed them above to flow at 21lbs, whereas i can get ahold of a set of reconditioned bosch blue top injectors which have been flow tested at 25lbs. 

unless I'm missing something they are higher flow? Providing they work with the XF, which apparently they will, would they not be better than the stock AU injectors? 

dave I'm open to advice clearly, especially since I've never turbocharged a car before, but if I'm only running 5 pound boost, surely I'm not going to need super high flow injectors, but obviously i want something better. even while its still N/A. the bosch 023 pump is something i want to do, but i can't remember exactly how the factory pump mounts up, and i think ill probably have to work on that to mount the 023, and also work out the pickup/filter. again no biggy. 

On 5psi do you need big injectors? ive done 256killerwasps on au injectors and a 023 pump on 10 psi I don't think you have to go bigger

do you know for fact you comps down? a babyed 250 could be ok. comp check it before righting it off  but if the comp is down just boost it more all the turbo does is make more comp :)

The tank setup I did not know a wagon has a lift pump, run that pump into a external fuel pump like a 044 and it will be fine and swap the fuel reg to a rise rate one

But you will need something to control all of it wheres crazy? he has good info on the factory ECU

Ok i get ya now with the injectors. Makes sense now.

Yeah comp is down. The highest i had about a year ago is 100psi. Lowest was about 60psi. Being uneven, i need to redo it and do it with a bit of oil to see if its all im the rings or some in the head.

Thats what i thought you were going to say, about pump and regulator.

Ill fid crazy and pm him

Yeah chris mine is from a carby, but that inlet/outlet is interchangeble, BUT only XF wagon tanks had the interchangeble sideplate. Thats why when i was looking for a fuel tank for my car, it had to be xf so i could swap it from no punp, to pump.

Well that's why you get fuel surge when low on fuel. Don't ever park on an incline nose up with less than half a tank or your wagon won't start.

The EFI tanks had a sort of swirl pot in them that carby tanks don't. It was just a bit of metal that was horizontal over the area where the fuel pump goes with holes to allow fuel in.

I daresay yours will surge/suffer fuel loss if you take right hand corners at speed with half a tank or less?