Gerry Ahern

XB Dartosmobile

1,414 posts in this topic

As some members know, thanks to Sparky Dave, I found an original complete XB Fairmont GS coupe a few months ago. When I was a kid this is all I wanted. Now I am sick of the flash cars I have had and want to get real again. I have saved up plenty of money and all I want is a completely original look that suits me. Don't want a V8 or obvious go faster stuff. Will add pcurrent pics at the weekend. It's currently partly gutted and waiting for panel beater. Have a room full of new parts just waiting.

By the way, has anyone worked out what Dartos is? It is also the number plate on my daily drive. Hint - I teach anatomy.

Outback Jack likes this

I just googled it then. Holy shit.

Been hearing about it for ages, can't wait to see the pics.

Also, Sparky Dave knows all, he's like a Dr Karl for cars.

Outback Jack likes this

Just had more parts arrive from Classic and Australian Muscle Parts. i highly recommend these guys - you send them a message and the right part arrives in perfect condition a few days later. And cheap. the number is 0413841724.

Still waiting for panel beater. In meantime replaced discs and pads. A little tight but i presume thats okay.

See pics. Sill rust doesn't include floor - floor looks new. Stripped interior. Gas all gone. Last of 5 trips to tip.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag97/Gerry_Ahern/IMAG0041_zpsukvwchq5.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag97/Gerry_Ahern/IMAG0042_zpsi4dgzhsq.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag97/Gerry_Ahern/IMAG0039_zpsgfqmk6rr.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag97/Gerry_Ahern/IMAG0043_zps4synvivf.jpg

Floors look mint but might still be a good idea to check up behind dash for rust since you already have it apart. Cant tell if there is still sound deadner on the floor, if it's still there use dry ice pellets to remove and it will save you cash as the panel beater doesn't have to do it.

Now the weather is getting colder, the dartosmobile car cover appears to be shrinking and looking very wrinkled!!

Replaced brake booster and master cylinder. Went to bleed furthest wheel (one man bleed kit) and nothing came out when pumping pedal (is there right technique for pumping?). My thoughts are reco master is no good, needs bench bleed (no mention in manual that this is required) or long rear pipe stuffed. Worries me that when i first got car, rear reservoir was dry and when I cracked pipe at furthest wheel, it was dry. To start sorting it out, I have put back old master (that I know worked) and am going to try again today. One thing I thought of is to block rear at master and bleed fronts - then take to brake expert (?okay to drive just on fronts). Not keen on replacing rear line as it looks like a lot of work getting it out. Have ordered cheap vacuum bleeder as this looks easier). Any help appreciated.

Massive amount of air is introduced when changing M/C, so you just have to persevere. Vacuum bleeder will help, but can be done easy with a second dude helping.

Might be a silly question, but did you remove the bleeders completely and check to see that the port in the caliper is still open.

I've had it on my XW and XY that the bleed holes corroded over while in storage. I've also had the holes in the bleeders themselves

rust shut completely preventing me from bleeding the brakes properly. Other than that, if you are using a new master cylinder and

the lines were flowing free prior, you may just need to let gravity do it's thing.

Again on my XY, i couldn't get the rear brakes to bleed properly after a master cylinder rebuild. Tried for months with every procedure

known to me and what ended up fixing it was just putting a hose on the bleeder, thread tape on the thread of the bleeder and extending

the hose to a height above the master cylinder reservoir. Then i just cracked the bleeder open and left it overnight letting gravity do it's thing.

In the morning i locked the bleeder off and topped up the reservoir, bled the brakes using the 2 man procedure and had perfect pedal. 

I can still nt figure out what caused the air lock i had, but time and thinking got me around it. 

Just my 2 cents.

wagoon likes this