slydog

Loft bed for kids.

21 posts in this topic

So my daughter wanted more space in her room to hang,play,sleep and just be a girl in and wifey had a idea of converting some bunks beds via deleting the bottom bed.Gives space down below and she sleeps up top all good expect prices were stupid dear and for shit really.So with some research she came up with a basic idea and some measurements for her idea,then she found loft beds online and found she was on the right track.

So we tweaked the design to Jada's room and we ended up with a solid room width bed with enough space underneath for her to kick it and hang and live in without tripping over all her shit.So with help from my good mate Marty we got into it today and ended up with this.

Sorry forgot to get a before with her old bed room set up...

2013-03-29084937_zpsf0c02baf.jpg

We started by making the basic frame out of 185 x 42 pine...

2013-03-29092020_zpsb7133e59.jpg

Then set some 75x42 timbers 19mm under deck height so we could recess the MDF top into the bed flush.We wanted to set in down in the frame but the sides and weight would have been silly big by that stage and after carrying it in and out twice that was more than enough.

2013-03-29105657_zps3e633a81.jpg

2013-03-29103137_zps93225322.jpg

Once that was done we got started on the legs and where and how to mount them...but only after approval from the workshop foreman...

2013-03-29120336_zpsb3f307ca.jpg

After getting the go ahead we moved to make 3 legs for the front to include 2 for the ends and one for the ladder,to look like this...

2013-03-29120357_zps813ee292.jpg

IMG]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/foopy-bucket/2013-03-29124555_zps2c2c5e7f.jpg[/img]

Now for dummy assembly...after the boss says so,or moves out of the way that is...

2013-03-29124608_zps34805488.jpg

2013-03-29140922_zps493505fd.jpg

So we pulled it back down and stuck it in the room as we have to paint it inside then reassembled it...

2013-03-29165125_zps9751b6b3.jpg

Picture makes it look rather small for some reason but wifey and the two kids can fit on there easy as.Jada will get lost on top now let alone underneath it.

So after we paint and re configure her room I'll add some updated pics.Looks like 10 mins work I know but belive me we worked on it from 10am till 4pm to get it just right.Yes Marty is a very fussy carpenter and made me bog and fill screw holes and then sand and go again as they were not perfect!FFS sake who would have thought a bed could be so hard but you don't want it to fall on your kids either so with that in mind I didn't mind the extra push to get it f*&kin right.We ended up with 16mm clearance each end. 

Wish I was a kid again... :(

Nice work Rob.  Nuthin better and more satisfying than knocking something up out of timber and saving yourself some coin in the process.

Yeah last one Monique looked at they wanted $1200 for it and it was flimsy shit really.This has cost us $400 bar primer as we got some paint already.We should come out of it well under half price and much better final product in the end too.

Plus if we can make Jada smile it has all been worth it.

P.S Because Bunnings had messed the order up a bit wifey went down this morning to let them know and she got a partial refund to bring the total cost of the project down to just under $300.Big win there and a very happy daughter. 

hendrixhc and 'Nova like this

Great job rob. I've been thinking about something similar for my boys room cos as he gets older he's needing more room. Like you said tho looks like 10mins, probably take me days cos I'm not real handy with timber. Love your work!

Looking at loft beds for my young ones - good if space is at a premium. In a way, kind of like a cubby house for the inside! Nice work.. ..resurrect the DIY  thread of old I say!

slydog likes this

I had a bed like this once, but with a desk under it and it was made from metal.

Yours looks much better than what I had, plus wood is better than metal for furniture IMO!

Outta curiosity whats the height from the floor to the base of the bed? Can't tell if its not very high or just the pics?

Looks good man. Well its alot more quality then the one in the movie ''stepbrothers''

i had bunks as a kid. I was always on top been the eldest. But i hated sharing a room so i moved into the shed.

Thanks bro.I can send you some basic designs if you like?

That would be great rob. It'll give me a bit more of an idea. I can work with timber just takes time to get it right. Cheers mate.

Yeah I must say Marty is the gun not me,I did buggar all in the grand scheme of things guys.He turned up with his 7.5 tonnes of truck and trailer to make a kids bed!!! And to top it off would not accept any sort of payment.

All I did was sand,clamp,hold,screw,lift and basically lacky while he steered the boat so to speak with orders from Monique...LOL.

We didn't...it doesn't need any bracing. I can jump on it @ 98kg and it does not move 1mm. The Internal legs are checked and glued and have 6 hex drive head bugle screws (I hope I got that right) and the 3 front have another 6 bugle screws and a check and glued aswell.It is screwed to the wall studs aswell via 4 OS screws aswell.The Bugle screws are about 5/16th in size.

Cyclone comes I know where I am running to and it isn't the bathroom.

staids likes this