Server maintenance Read more... ×
XF001

Which tyres are better value for money

I am looking at buying some new 295/50R15 tyres for my ute. Was looking at B F Goodrich TA's but at $330 a pop I had second thoughts. Checked out a few other brands. Sumitomo HTR 2000's are $190 a pop.

Need opinions from some knowledgeable peeps on which would be the better tyre for my money.

Sumitomo tyres are quite a soft compound, where as BFG tend not to grip quite as well.

The BFG's have a brand rep - hence the price I'd say.

Or they're imports, and the local seller is price gouging.

Had bfg's on the cuzzo, great for copious amounts of tyre smoke, they seemed to last pretty good considering the constant abuse and have the right look, the sumitumo's were better in the dry than the bfg's but no where near as good in the wet (bordering on dangerous by comparison) and didn't last as long, but they did ride better and we're quieter, so I went with the bfg's again (245 60 15's)

I used to have bfgs on the ute and while they lasted forever I had a lot of trouble finding grip in the rain. I ended up switching to a set of nangkangs. Good grip, no issues in the wet, handled seemingly well around corners, low noise and my tire guy sold them to me for $150 a piece. Mine where only 230's though

I had bfgs 245's on the rear of a zj fairlane I had. Straight line in the dry they were great round corners and round abouts in the wet they were shit and I would go as far as dangerous. I had an xy with crossply cheese cutters and the bfgs were only marginally better in the wet.

One night when it was raining in the zj the car changed into second gear on the white line as I was going through a set of lights. It was good that the road was 3 lanes wide with a verge cause I used all of it to come to a stop. Granted this was almost 15 years ago but I dont think they have changed the compounds all that much in that time.

Wouldn't mind knowing how good the sumitomos are myself...

Looking for RWL tyres that don't cost 300 bucks a tyre.

I've got budget Blue Streaks (came with the 12 slotters) on mine now, and they're alright when it's dry but you may as well be driving on ice when the road's wet. On the other hand its pretty funny lighting up the tyres with an 80kw 3.3 auto.

They don't at the moment 78xcxl, but only by a small amount. They will when I flare the guards though.

The tyres are for a daily driver, but I would like a set that will stick to the road and that will hold on in corners.