Nath

XD Headlight Globe Change

Hey guys, retarded question - How do i get the globes out of the headlights?

Would be simple but some asshat has moved both of my repair manuals and I'm having some trouble working it out. Got the back cover off one to expose the black plug and metal ring surround thing, but unsure how it comes off. Tried pulling, twisting etc but I'm afraid to get too rough in case it shatters into a thousand pieces. 

Must be missing something.

I see it. It's hard as a rock and I can barely get a hand there.

Whoever approved that design needs a kick in the balls.

Will keep at it I guess, thanks.

Still no bueno. The wire coil thing won't compress or stretch for me to be able to remove it from the lip. 99% sure I'm gonna break something if I do it any harder.

Looked at mine today and it has a metal retainer ring that I had to push in (towards front of car) and twist. The plugs to the globes should pull off. Will try and get a pic for you tomorrow. I don't have anything in the engine bay to contend with at the moment either.

Cheers dude. I ended up giving up for the time being - didn't want to snap anything important then really be up shit creek. Will try pushing it forward more next time. Might have a crack at it tomorrow.

Got some decent new globes for it since the ones on there now are pretty awful. Marginally better than driving around with parkers on.

My lexus you remove the headlight to get at the globes.. on an XD that would be simple also.

unclip the spring that holds the indicator in, then 3 or 4 bolts and the headlight is out..= easy access.

Can't upload photos for you so I will try and explain it for you.

Remove the black plug and the other two smaller wires. They should just pull off.

Push the metal retaining ring forward (towards the headlight glass) and twist anticlockwise. Might have to jiggle a little bit. Only turns about 10mm and then it will release from the headlight unit leaving the bulb sitting in place. The smaller bulb stays in the retainer unit.

When putting back together make sure the smaller bulb is located in the hole of the headlight housing before twisting the retainer back on so you  don't break the smaller bulb.

Hope this helps. I haven't got anything in the engine bay to hinder me so it might be worth doing what deankdx suggested and remove the light itself.

Well, got em off easy enough, cheers dude. Came out easy so thought I'd swap globes before going out tonight.

Of course they're being cunts to put back on. Globes in everything's good but the metal ring won't bite where its meant to hook on. Prick of a job trying to do it one handed while holding a torch. Betting this is gonna end in shattered glass.

Fucking cunt of a thing. Played the game of "one side hooks and the other won't" for a bit. Ended up snapping the stupid parker light bulb trying to line everything up.

To add insult to injury the new 30 dollar bulbs aren't even any brighter than the shitty old ones.

Fuck.

Whoever designed these lights needs a proper throat punch.

Typical ford. Could pull the whole engine out of the car easier than changing the stupid headlight globe.

Finally got them in and went for a drive. Headlights are just as shit as before. Guess that's just the way they are.

Gonna have to pony up for a new parking light bulb though...

take a photo of the headlights from the front, you can see in the ones listed here 2 headlights, one shiny the other not so much..

the shiny one will work brilliant, the dull reflector wont be good no matter what you do.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-XD-FALCON-HEAD-LIGHTS/301565445418?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29950%26meid%3D0029b59976c5414a96fbddd1479d36ab%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D171710989486

you can get the reflectors re metalised (rechromed)

if you can see the thread here the massive difference that makes, even shows the light beams shined against my gates.
pretty sure someone copied the thread to here, i cant find it so its an xfalcon link
http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38828-xf-headlight-reflectors-re-metallising/page-2

Damn that looks much better. Gonna have to look into that. WIll probably get it done when it comes off the road for paint, seeing as I have to strip it all anyway.

Cheers dude.

I dont know if they still make them but a few years back autotechnica made white light h3 globes and they were amazing. They were "not legal for road use" but still really good. Bigcav may be able say if they re still produced.