Nath

Crossflow Build Advice

Cast 29cc pistons preped stock rods this thing has been 9.27 at 146mph and is reason enough for me to stay with my cast slugs and stock rods

What ever happened to markze is that car still around

Cortina for life

Adam spoke to mark a few weeks ago its still around he sold the cars engine and is now building a very cool roller 250 he plans to turn to 7000rpm but things take time and its been about 5 years now. As the saying goes rome was not built in a day. 8s in a crossy not to many have done it its funny this car is only 2 tenths off the 60 foots joes corty runs and joe owns a chassis shop and marks was built in his shed

Now that's just having a go :D arr wheres my mate wes when im making jokes LOL 

First build should be a trial and learn.A first big build is a STEEEEEEEP learning curve and TBH way to much shit going on in here to process.Just build somthing and start driving learning with it cos I'll bet my balls you won't be happy with prob the first 3 attempts. Each one will be able to be done better but dropping it all on the first shot and then breaking it thru a rookie error you didn't know about is not a nice thought.Simple shit like dialling in the camshaft can take 30mins or 5hrs but maybe 25% of people actually do it. 

Just saying...Rob    

This again ^ ^ very good advice. Start simple and build up, sure it may cost you more time changing the combo and pulling it apart a few times, but you spread the $$ and time over a few years and it pays off in the end. One, you get the experience from mucking round with it and trying a few different things along the way, and two you don't risk throwing all that money in the bin after your big dollar first engine you decide to build goes south. 

Ive completely disassembled the motor only once so this is my first engine, i learnt the hard way flat tops and mild cams do not mix, and instantly get worried whenever my hand goes near the dizzy to muck around with that timing. But hey motor is simple and still together after a couple of years, had a shitload of fun and have a much better idea what to do round 2 (or round 10 considering all the little things that have changed over the years). 

Get stuck in it, have some fun, take a break to reflect, enjoy it, then worry about the motors next step. Everyone wishes they could go back and put that bigger cam in or dial back some comp, but thats just the benefit of hindsight...

2 - 10th's in the 60 ft is years apart Webby.Thats where you really ET in drag racing.You can tell if someone hasn't got there car sorted by the mph and there 60ft times. You may notice alot of late model cars run massive mph but slow 60ft's and et's due to suspension and car weight and driver ability. 

Mark actually started work on a belt drive for a xflow but I don't believe he finished it.Very very smart guy.

Yeah he showed me It when it had been machined up, Im also unsure if he has finished it yet

2 10ths I think he was doing ok since he had 170ish hp less then joes car but I hear what your saying on the new stuff you look at the MPH but they still run in the low 2 second 60s and a car with half the power still blasts it  

As the old saying goes "Races are won or lost in the first 60 foot"

Whats he MPH show compared to Joe's? That would show true track HP.

Mossy knows him pretty well and was as keen as I was to get a belt drive kit off him if it ever was finished.

I'd rather see a cam chain tensioner than a belt drive. I think I've just found the solution contained within another engine I have been playing with atm.  Stay tuned.

A lot of modern cars have torque-limiting software for the lower gears to prevent you breaking stuff in the driveline. Pretty much any car that's drive-by-wire has it. How else could they make a borgy diff live behind a 335 kW donk and auto box?