Nath

Ford 300ci Inline 6

Anyone know much about these? I know they came in F series trucks. Was just curious about them.

Are they a crossflow?

Anyone ever chucked one in an X series?

Yes this has been down before on here.No there a log engine and weight heaps plus use a single barrel Stromy. Zero performance.

How ever they have a steel crank and take a clevo or LS cyl head with mods to make a xflow.Bottom line waaaaay too much money for you to even think about as cam shaft is custom,heads are pipes are ignition is,car needs mods to fit it.    

They have a rabid following in the states by F-truck owners who like torque and economy. They are a long-stroke, non-crossflow truck engine in 240 and 300 ci with little parts interchangeability with other ford engines.

They're a completely different family to the 144/170/188/200/221/250 inlines. You could call them a big-block six I suppose. I think some FE big-block pistons might fit.

Even if you can get them to breathe, the long stroke/small bore creates a mechanical limit to rpm thus horsepower. There are some great bits available in the states but because they're a niche market, you pay a lot for what you get. There are tricks to get them going well even with stock bits like EFI exhaust manifolds, using a 240 head on a 300 for more comp, plus aftermarket bits like 4-bbl manifolds and better cams, bigger valves, etc.

You'll struggle to get 250 hp out of one even with the right bits but you could tow a whole suburb with it, the torque is supposed to be that awesome.

They have legendary reliability, some going for 600,000 miles without dying. People who like them say they're the best engine Ford ever built. I've been fascinated by them for a while now but the only notable one I can remember that went well was a Maverick with a turbo'd one in it. Did 10s from memory. The US maverick was a car about the size of a corty.

They sound nice with the right exhaust. Chuggy and real old-school.

I know of a bloke who used to have an f250 for pulling his horse float, at around 500,000 miles started to get a bit smokey so he pulled it out and put a 351 clevo in it, he ended up selling the truck because he was just that disappointed after the engine swap

Had many a chuckle reading that. It can probably escape the black hole by towing it back out of itself. :P

I was pretty much thinking that a crossflow on steroids/big block six would be pretty cool but if it's gonna cost a bazillion dollars then no bueno.

Fuck, I bet that motor would take all of the boost that exists on earth though. Apparently that Maverick that Greg mentioned is just a stock motor with a boost haha.

Gonna play devils advocate here. I've seen a few F series on gumtree for peanuts that have those motors...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eudunda/cars-vans-utes/ford-f100-/1073531474

Wonder how it'd go in a falcon with the right bits... All of the torque. Ever. Would never have to leave the house again as I could just tow it behind me wherever I go.

Edit: Actually you know what, stuff it in a Cortina. That'd be scary.

Jesus christ, that thing is an absolute monster.

"Nah it's just a tired old six banger officer, nothing to see here".

Gonna play devils advocate here. I've seen a few F series on gumtree for peanuts that have those motors...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eudunda/cars-vans-utes/ford-f100-/1073531474

Wonder how it'd go in a falcon with the right bits... All of the torque. Ever. Would never have to leave the house again as I could just tow it behind me wherever I go.

Edit: Actually you know what, stuff it in a Cortina. That'd be scary.

No it'd be a d10t. The nose would be that heavy your bumper would be a plow

I had a 60 series landcruiser with a 3f petrol engine that would pull the queen mary through mud. I towed a car trailer with an xf wagon on it in the middle of summer up steep hills at better than highway speed and it would drop 5km/h, and I had to back off at the top. It would turn 33 inch all terrain tyres like they were 185/14's, so long as it wasn't pointed up mount everest I could take off in second wind out to 3000rpm change straight to 4th and cruise at 60km/h all day long at just under 1500rpm. That is torque

BUT

If I did spin the tyres the engine would run out of puff once it sat above 3700ish rpm for to long. 3rd gear was the best gear for the car, it would pull HARD but after 3700 you could feel the car lose power and the only thing it was making was noise. I revved it out to 4500rpm a couple of times but it was pointless cause it just made the exhaust louder it did nothing power wise. On the exact same stretch of road which happens to be an on ramp to a highway from a round about my current 200ci wagon pulls the same speed the  about 300m earlier than the cruiser did and the on ramp is 800-900m long. Yes the landcruiser is 700kgs heavier but if the engine wont rev it wont make horsepower and it wont make for a fast car

Probably but wheres the fun in that?

Just seems like a shame that you can't really make one rev properly and give it decent power up top. Sounds like it would be an absolute hoot to drive.

Not that I'm contemplating doing it, because money pit, but I'd have to wonder if it'd be possible to do one that revs better and then add forced induction. Be pretty interesting to see what it could do. If that dude ran 10s with a stock bottom end and 15 pounds of boost imagine what it'd do if you could overcome its obvious limitations.

More than anything else it's just fucking cool, how many big block sixes do you see? :P