Server maintenance Read more... ×
bear351c

ZL/XF power steering, too light.....any fix available?

Hey all, the ZL is a bit too light in the steering department, (power steer), and was wondering if anyone had found a fix for this issue?   Larger pulley on the pump?   More Castor?   XD p/s box?

Put a screwdriver through the power steering pump :P

Could always use an XD setup... Even the manual ones are pretty decent.

There's a common mod that is a piece of piss once you know how. Google Saginaw power steer pump mod. Involves taking the pressure fitting out, removing the spool valve in that port and pulling apart the valve and taking a shim out or putting one in (I can't remember). The shims are just small washers.

Fords have exceptionally high assist pressure at around 1400 psi, but dropping below say 1000 can give much better feel.

Add shims.

Where the hose bolts into the pump there is a plug behind which is the spool valve. Tap and it should come out and it has a big spring too.

Check my old school ute thread for the mod. I added another couple of shims, steering is heavier now.

Although looking to do a ts astra pump soon ;).

Yeah thanks for that Far Quad, had a feeling it was add shims, not subtract. Makes sense as you're lessening the preload on the spring inside the spool valve as you add shims.

A fucking Astra? You poor soul...

Add shims.

Where the hose bolts into the pump there is a plug behind which is the spool valve. Tap and it should come out and it has a big spring too.

Check my old school ute thread for the mod. I added another couple of shims, steering is heavier now.

Although looking to do a ts astra pump soon ;).

Hey Lord Far quad, cant seem to find your "old school ute" thread.....Is it on OzFalc.?

Leave the pump alone and get the wheel alignment sorted. Run maxmium  postive caster through the cast rods and space the front upper control arms bolt 3mm for further positive caster gain. Power steering is no where light/ floating in my XC and ZH with awesome steering feel and about the same steering effort as my BA to about roughly slightly heavier. Handling also greatly improves my doing this.

Don't remember the XC being too light on the steering from factory. Every XF I have driven has floated like a boat, steering with one finger.  This is my daily, as well, so I don't go round corners at high speed, or anything harsh like that.  That was why I was leaning toward the pump pressure fix, not the wheel alignment.

Don't remember the XC being too light on the steering from factory. Every XF I have driven has floated like a boat, steering with one finger.  This is my daily, as well, so I don't go round corners at high speed, or anything harsh like that.  That was why I was leaning toward the pump pressure fix, not the wheel alignment.

Who ever did the wheel alignment on your XC must of done it correct, often joints who do wheel alignments use the wheel alignment specs for a manual steering car on a power steering car hence the floaty feel. Factory specs on power steering cars state they require more positive castor. This is not the case on manual steering cars as they will be to heavy to steer. Pump pressure is not the  issue and would strongly advise to not mess with it, wheel alignments cost only around $60 so can't see why you wouldn't go down this route. Anyways just my 2 cents.

So, after doing lots of research and reading all the comments, (Cheers all), bought the kit from the 'States. Thanks Gerg.

IMAG0328.jpg

Comes with 5 washers and a few instructions, a collar to hold the spool valve in the vice and a new O-ring.

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

Got a bloody "tennis elbow" from work last week, so wont be fitting it for a few weeks, but will upload pics and thoughts when done.  This a common mod in the 'States to put a Saginaw (usually GM) power steering rack in Mustangs. Will try 3 shims to start, drop the pressure to around 1000 psi. Later dudes......