dogart

XH - injectors replaced - still have issues!

Howdy,

First post here, appreciate any help.

98 XH falcon ute. 134000km's on the clock.

Just had the ute at the mechanics after it has been running rough on and off and some backfiring.
They said 100% it is the injectors so had those replaced yesterday.
Picked it up and whilst driving around on take off from stop it just died in the ####.
(almost got T-Boned....not funny!)

A few times after that it hesitated on take off.
Took it back this morning and they just called to say needs new ignition coil, plugs and leads.
Now it never ever just totally cut out before having the injectors replaced!!!!!

Seems like I'm starting to throw money at it until they fix the issues by just replacing s**t! Not Happy
as the ute is not worth spending $$$ on it.

There are a few other issues with the car.
Central locking has been disabled. Interior light globe has been removed (can't remember why I took it out years ago)
Thing is I seen a post around relating to EL that wouldn't start and the guy asked if the interior light works! Could this be related.

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers

Well i dunno what might be your problem mate but i have a ef wagon just for skids... any way when i got it few weeks ago bloke said it had a slight miss didn't notice it for a wile, only when you stab it flat you could here it, thought it was coil packs or plugs so changed plugs looked ok if anything a bit lean but im a carby man, my v6 in my Kingswood plugs looked the same.

So got another set of coils 40 bucks of a good running car, no different thought right must be fuel fuel filter, new one on old one was dirty as, no different right so injectors are blocked didnt have any ef ones to put in but the good injector out of my efi crossflow went straight in and run heaps smother, but still not fixed only when its stabed flat, parked it up the back for now, pretty sure i has a blown head gasket and the 02 sensor might be shagged id give that a look. Hope im any help to your issue.

I'd check the map sensor is working (you can simply unplug it while the engine is running if idle rpm changes or stalls the sensor works) if it works you can dismiss it as causing the problem, I'd also check the fuel pressure reg, if you pull the vacuum line off and plug it the engine should start running excessively rich at idle and low throttle if it's working if not it's no good and could be causing your issue

If you've been having backfiring, that usually indicates the ignition is cutting out and back in again.

When the ignition comes back in, that's when you get the backfire.

Was it backfiring out the exhaust, or more like popping back into the air cleaner..?

Get your old injectors back..... it's not injectors.

Get your old leads and dissy cap back..... it won't be those either.

If you had a dud lead, the ute would kick and buck a bit under load, but still run ok.

If it's backfiring, then usually it's ignition related, not fuel supply related.

I would try a new distributor - genuine bosch available off ebay, for about $160.00. (do not get a chinese copy dissy)

It's probably a dying PIP hall effect sensor.

If you're cluey, you can replace just the PIP and/or TFI module.
If the coil is dying, you can often see cracks in the body, when it's removed.

Run the fault codes, and see if it gives you a direction - ie, Coil, PIP or TFI.

Also, make sure you're using the EA-ED type, long electrode spark plugs - they need to be used, with the log intake manifold engines. (such as on the standard XH's)

Edit - beaten to it, by VDO. :)

Cheers all.

The ute was running like crap before the injectors were done and now is running sweet.

Just those couple of times since as described that have my concerns.

Went for another good run today and no signs of hesitation or cutting out.

Also, make sure you're using the EA-ED type, long electrode spark plugs - they need to be used, with the log intake manifold engines. (such as on the standard XH's)

I'm going to change the plugs, so I just get the ones that are listed for EA-ED model ford falcon? 

Cheers all.

The ute was running like crap before the injectors were done and now is running sweet.

Just those couple of times since as described that have my concerns.

Went for another good run today and no signs of hesitation or cutting out.

Would be air in the fuel rail working its way out, just see how ya go, if it does it again.

Also you must hae a J3 chip or similiar in that ute as It's a Smartlock set up in XH, and without the interior light globe in, the circuit is not complete and the ute should not start, either that or they tricked the Octo coupling in the Ignition barrel.

I'm going to change the plugs, so I just get the ones that are listed for EA-ED model ford falcon? 

There should be a listings of models they suit from a good supplier. Try the Bosch super4's , they run real nice in my XG.

Best of Luck.

Jack.

Haven't had the interior light in for many years without an issue.
Found the globe and put it back in.
Car has had another good run today and the wife said she only had a slight hesitation on one instant.
Will run it a bit more to see how it goes before I spend any more on it.

If I was to replace the ignition coil, what is the fuelmizer (spelling?) brand like?
Was quoted $58 from repco for this brand.

+1 with the Lord,

If you can try and steer clear of the fuelmiser stuff, go genuine Bosch on any of the ignition bits like coil, dizzy, dizzy cap or rotor button.

Ebay is your friend.

Jack.

Cheers all.

Just looking now on ebay.

There is this one but it says XH 93 - 93

Mines 98!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bosch-Ignition-Coil-FORD-FALCON-6-Cyl-4-0-MPFI-ED-XG-XH-93-94-/191546324388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c990cf5a4

Any Bosch coil or dissy or cap, listed to suit the XG/XH and E-series (except EF) will suit an XH with factory standard driveline.

Those components were the same.

The XH spark plug leads, are the same as EA-ED Falcon.

The general consensus, is to use Genuine Ford spark plug leads on the XG/XH/E-series, if you can. (usually available on ebay too)

The EF's had a coil pack and a cam/crank position sensor, not a dissy/cap/coil,

hence why I say 'except EF'.